Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My breaks are squeaking!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 12:23 AM
1st Gear
Default My breaks are squeaking!

Is this bad? Im scared, I just got my car, and while the breaks work fine and feel fine, they are making a high pitched noise every now and then, and it is upsetting me. Does anyone else have this experience? Is it something I should worry about? What can I do?

Lol... I <3 my baby and I dont want it to be sick.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:33 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: My breaks are squeaking!

I have owned 13 cars and 2 bikes and almost every single one of them had the occasional brake squeak. If its constantly squeaking then there could be a problem but not necessarily a bad one- have it checked out. The worst noise you can hear from your brakes is a grinding noise, that usually means the pads are gone and its down to metal on metal. If you think that is what you are hearing take it to a shop now and have it thoroughly inspected. otherwise your brakes are most likely fine but if you are nervous have somebody you really trust to look at it, if they know Audi they should be able to tell you what percentage is left on the pads.

Good luck

Old 01-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Site Moderator

Right, it depends on how much its squeaking. If its squeaking about 75% of the time you're braking then there is probably a bad anti-rattling clip or the brake pads need to be changed. If it just squeaks every now and then and only at slow speeds then its normal.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:27 PM
1st Gear

Yea its only now and then, and only at slow speeds. Im just super paranoid =p

Old 01-06-2008, 01:13 PM
gkb

wow i thought i was the only one having this problem, **** is mad ******* anoying, i'll pull up at the window at burger king (ordering a number 6) then my car looks all nice and the brakes just squeak squeak squeak, and sometimes aout 15 seconds after i drive off my car i'll hear a little grind like something is rubbing!

Old 01-06-2008, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

Same squeaking here... that's why I downship
Im just gonna get drilled rottors + ceramic pads this summer.. and if it continues [:@]

Old 01-06-2008, 03:21 PM
1st Gear

I have Zimmerman cross drilled rotors and ceramic pads and my front brakes still squeak sometimes. It is annoying. Good Luck.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

I heard there's some spray for this... someone has experience ?[&:]

Old 02-14-2008, 05:15 PM

I have a 2007 A4 and the breaks started squeaking terribly (like an 18 wheeler)during the 12th month of leasing the car (now in the 15th month). 4 trips to the local Audi dealership and one call to corporate and they tell me that there is no problem according to their review specifications? They give me a long "song and dance" about metallic high performance break pads and the "all breaks squeak a little" line. 24/7 my breaks constantly squeak/screetch quite loudlywhen I drive in regular city traffic. Audi informed me that I should not be breaking lightly but applying firm pressure each time I break. So what do you do when you are in constant stop and go traffic in a city like Los Angeles? This is not an option. Breaks should not be silent only under certain conditions. When I pull up anywhere heads turn when my "new car" squeals to a stop. I have hosed out the breaks too many times to remember and that does not resolve the problem. I ask around to friends who own BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti and Lexus and none of them have these issues with their "high performance" breaks? If I had the President of Audi stand next to each other and listen to my car break they would all agree that something does not sound right even if the "technical" specifications were all in place. As I mentioned on the phone to Audi corporate, they are actually pushing me to a competitor when my lease is up. When I ask if this concerns Audi I basically get the "No concerns at their end"? When my lease is up I am out! Thank goodness I only have a two year lease. What a way to handle a luxury car “client” when there is obviously an issue at hand. Since the 2009 A4 is highly rumored to cost more I might as well go with a competitor and not have to deal with this waste of my time.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:35 PM
3rd Gear

I believe the correct spelling is brake not break - unless you hear a lot of squeeling while taking a break- If that happens, the fix is easy -- just don't invite the girls to join you when you go on a break!

Quick Reply: My breaks are squeaking!