Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My day at the Audi Dealer

Old 05-15-2008, 11:34 PM
1st Gear
Default My day at the Audi Dealer

So I've had this annoying shaking at around 50-60mph since I bought the car and I finally went to go get it checked it out. As Im waiting to get my estimate I walk around with my buddy and check out all my dream cars. Sat in the new TT, RS4, S6 and drove the A5. I was soo excited. Im 17 and I still got to drive the A5. (I thought you had to be at least 18 to test drive a car.) It was awesome. I thought it would be alil quicker but it was decent. I guess thats why they made the S5. Sport Mode really opens it up = ) So when I finally get my estimate done I'm told I have 2 bend rear tires and the 2 front tie rods need to be replaced. $800+. I was like WOW f**k me in the A$$ plus $199.00 for an alignment and $180 for each bend tire. I feel everyones pain.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:34 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: My day at the Audi Dealer

MISTAKE #1 - You went to an Audi dealer.

MISTAKE #2 - You went to an Audi dealer.

MISTAKE #3 - You got the message?

I don't question what needs to be done - just the cost!

PS - What is a bend tire?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:32 PM
2nd Gear

bend tire, yeah you really took it up the back end

Just get the tie rods donie and drive it, rear wheels shuold not make the car front end wobble/shimmey... yuo feel it in the steering wheel, right?

get it dnoe at an INDY.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:45 PM
2nd Gear

just had this same problem ... it coudl be this

tie rod ends ... how many miles does ur car have on it ... if it is over 70k n they havent been replaced start there

in my case i knew i slightly dented one of my rims but what i didnt see was on the inside of the rim not visible from teh street a HUGE dent which was shakin my wheel like crazy ... allignment wont shake the car so you may have either old tires with bubbles in them a wheel thats not tru or a tire thats not balanced properly

so if its not ur tie rods then its the wheels
try and rotate that what I did .. . put the bent in the back so i didnt feel the shake untill i can save up 500 bucks to buy a new rim :-( .... only had them for about 2 months and i rocked the sh*t out of a pothole

let us know what happens but def dont take it to the stealership you shoudl be paying a 1/3 less then what the dealer quoted u at

Old 05-16-2008, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys. I only went for an ESTIMATE because I know they rip you off really badly. Even then an estimate costs $56.00.[:@]
JOETM, my Audi is alittle above 84,000 miles. I only went because I just wanted to know whats wrong. Im know I can get it done for wayyy less or even do it myself. But yea shaking t higher speeds and it got a little worse on my way to the dealer. Anyone know how much parts would cost? thanks

Old 05-16-2008, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

Im sure it matters where you live but:

I had my car in today for the 75,000 mile check, and had them look at the alignment while they worked on it:

I was quoted $1400.00 for just the checkup, when I was called regarding the cost the total ended up being $1100.00, he told me since I had them work on so much today, that he lowered the charge rate for the labor.

I know people gripe about dealerships, but Ive never had any problems with euro import dealers in the area (had a Volvo before the Audi). Domestic dealers are another story.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:21 AM
2nd Gear

here is the break down

look at it in 3rds ... parts are 1/3 labor is 2/3

thats pretty much textbook when it comes to dealers ... i know bc i worked at an audi dealer (i moved cars from teh storage lot to the pickup lot... drove some of the sickest audis from a8 w12 to porc. 991 car. 4 turbo!!! 80 in 2nd gear!!!)

Old 05-17-2008, 02:42 AM

My friend drives a b6 1.8t and took it to the dealer to get the rear blinker changed and they charged her $85... Wow labor must have been a PITA open compartment, unclip, push/turn, reverse! Harsh. They did wash her car... Yeah the dealer will F&#$ you everytime. I can't wait to see what they offer me when I go to try and trade-in.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:18 PM
1st Gear

Well Im in the Detroit area if anyone knows a good Indy shop that could do it. I think I've heard of IN-TUNE IMPORTS in Holland, MI from someone around here.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:23 PM
1st Gear

Excuse my ignorance but what is a indy shop? I'm new on audi forums so I'm a bit clueless when it comes to internet slang.

As for the steering wheel shake, most likely tie rods. Could also simply be an alignment problem. In my BMW's case it was a warped brake rotor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My day at the Audi Dealer