Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Audi, how'd I do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 03:45 AM
1st Gear
Default My first Audi, how'd I do?

Well after looking for a descent deal and I think I may have found it. There are a few minor problems with it that I'll get into in a minute.

First the car...It is a 2000 A6 2.8. 61,000 miles. Body and paint are in great shape (aside from a few small scratches on the front bumper), interior is also in great shape!

I paid $5500 for it which seems reasonable I think especially when you consider that I'm from Hawaii and cars are always a little more expensive here.

Now here are the problems.....

First (might not be so much of a problem) The dash only reads 7k miles. On the door jam there is a sticker that reads something to the effect that the "odometer was changed at 53393 miles."

I told the salesman that anyone could have put that sticker in there any written any amount of mileage. BUT there was a reciept from SEARS for a battery in the glove compartment. It was install back in '06 and the paper work reflects 40k miles. I called the local Audi service department and gave them the VIN to see if they have enything on record for this car. They said that the car was in for a recall back in '05 and had 35k miles at that time. So it really does seem that the miles are accurate.

Second, the check engine light is on. Now the car runs perfect! Smooth idle, smooth acceleration, smooth shifting and everything. I took it for a 40 minute test drive including letting it sit and idle for 10 minutes. The only problem I could find is that the fricken a/c fan is loud! So I figure whatever that CEL is for must not be too major. Now, i'm not a mechanic by any means, but I have some experience working on cars for the past 15-20 years, so I did check out everything that is normally checked out. Oil was nice and claer, but not just changed, fliter was also newer, no oil leaks, no strange noises, cv boots still like new, I ran the trans through all the gears and paid close attention while driving. I couldn't find the dipstick for the auto trans so I'm not sure if this trans is supposed to be "serviceable".

Other than that, the car seems perfect.

I did notice that although the transmission seems to shift fine and everything, it does seem to shift kind of "soft" while you are driving. I'm hoping that is normal for Audi's.

Anyway, here are some pictures that I grabbed from the actual ad in Craigslist. I'll post more once I get her cleaned up real well.

Tell me what you guys think!

Attached Images    

Last edited by Leeer73; 10-01-2008 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:31 AM
2nd Gear

Looks like you did very well! The driver's display has been known to go south by losing pixels, so a replacement of the cluster is not unreasonable. You did your homework on double checking the mileage, which supports the claimed mileage, so it looks like it is accurate. For the CEL, start by tightening the gas cap!

Bob

Old 10-01-2008, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply and info Bob! I really appreciate it. Now I'm off to get her cleaned up. I'll try to post some pics today or tommorrow!

EDIT: Well it looks like your advice about the gas cap paid off!!! This morning I took it off and tightened it back on and by the second short drive I took today, the light was off!!! Thanks again Bob!

Last edited by Leeer73; 10-01-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:44 PM
1st Gear

yeah good buy... I bought mine last year 99 a6 2.8 same color 96k on it for 7k, then did timing belt right after I bought it.
then water temp sensor and reservor replaced.
I get CEL for secondary injection. which you probably got the CEL on for. you can just check with regular OBDII or vag if you have it to find out exact error.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:18 PM
2nd Gear

my twin!

Old 10-01-2008, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

I paid $14,500 for my 2.7T Sport Package 2002 A6 so you did pretty well 0_0.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Tahoehtp and Stone825! I apreciate the feedback. I'm going to order that Vag setu-up next month and check it out myself.

@ oc audica, Not quite man, I still have alot more to go to get it looking good like yours!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:25 PM
2nd Gear

i just had a little laugh @ the fact that my car is 1 year older, and has 3x your mileage

Old 10-01-2008, 07:27 PM
1st Gear

Well however old or what ever the mileage, that's one sweet looking ride!

Old 10-06-2008, 11:19 PM
3rd Gear

Not sure if they are in HI, but Autozone will run a free CEL scan for you.