Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first problem with my car...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:30 PM
1st Gear
Default My first problem with my car...

I got on it about 2 miles from my house, and now it's idling rough and the check engine light is on. It's also got that rotten egg smell coming out of the exhaust. I don't have a scanner but I will probably buy one this weekend. I'm thinking the TBB blew out and wanted to get your thoughts.

Thanks William

Old 08-21-2008, 07:31 PM
1st Gear

Go to AutoZone, Advanced Auto, etc they will scan and interpret the code for free. Rotten egg smell usually suggets catalytic converter issues. Maybe it collapsed?

Old 08-21-2008, 08:03 PM
1st Gear

HA! I JUST walked in the door from dealing with and fixing this for the SECOND time!!!
My 99.99% bet is that you have a failed ignition coil. You have the same year as me, thus same ignition system. you're probably getting a mis-fire, the car's violently shaking, especially under load, and the CEL is blinking, am I right? If so, you need a new ignition coil, around 40 bucks or so, usually only in stock @ Audi, or special order from most parts store. LITERALLY 2 minutes to fix, less if you don't have the stock black plastic engine covers in place. You'll have to run the codes first (as said above, Autozone can do it) to see which coil it is. it will say "cylinder 5 misfire", etc. Then, just unclip/remove the wire harness, pull the coil pack straight out, pop the new one in, have your code erased, and DONE! Good as new. I bought an extra one this time since this is the second one that blew in 2 months W/ 77K on the car...
Hopefully this is all you're experiencing and it's a quick fix. Good luck!!!
And the catalytic convertor smell is accurate. Since your plug's not firing, there's raw fuel being dumped into the cat and burned up!! Get it fixed ASAP!!
-JEremy

Old 08-22-2008, 03:58 AM
3rd Gear

LOL So now your no longer an Audi Virgin!! Congratulation on having your first problem!

Scanning for codes is the first thing that happens after the honeymoon. A good Auto Zone is very helpful until you get your own scanner- which in my opinion is a must have if you plan on owning an Audi for more than a week...

Old 08-22-2008, 12:54 PM
2nd Gear

A lot of misfires on our cars are indeed due to a failed coil pack and most likely the others willl go too. stock them. However, (in my car/model year anyway), the engine should know and adjust so I would not have thought it would cause that smell.. I hope the coil pack is all it is as it is only $40 and covered nuder most warranty if you have one. YOu should really always post the codes when asking about an issue.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:22 PM
1st Gear

So did you fix it yet??

Old 08-22-2008, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

where can you get a scanner and how much do they cost?

Old 08-22-2008, 03:19 PM
2nd Gear

sounds like an imobilizer ... the only thing that would lead be to say it was the cats is the rotton egg smell but that coulda just been bc u pushed it hard ... tbb wouldnt make the cel blink

Old 08-22-2008, 09:22 PM
1st Gear

Well it's 9:17 pm and I just got home from work. (Didn't drive the car by the way) It definately feels like it's running on 5 cylinders. Sweet, I bought a 2.7 and it morphed into a 2.5. I am getting the codes pulled tomorrow and will post them. Thanks for the responses thus far.

William

Old 08-22-2008, 11:44 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by audi_sf
where can you get a scanner and how much do they cost?
Do a search on Rosstech and VAGcom and if you still have questions start you own thread.

Quick Reply: My first problem with my car...