Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Original BOSE system makes noises! need serious help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:30 AM
1st Gear
Default My Original BOSE system makes noises! need serious help.

Hello, I have a Audi A6 2,5TDI 1996 quattro with original BOSE system.

When I first tested the Stereo it worked fine, Im also using both iPod and Aux via Parrot system. The first times it worked fine and I didnt play too loud to make it explode, but some days after when I was listening to music it worked fine, so i turned it up a notch(not too loud) and then there came this cracking noise, like small pokes on glass, cant clearly describe it, So i turned the volume down again but nothing happened. the day after the noise was gone again and this time I played fairly but not too loud. but when i turned it down again the noise came back. This other day also I drove my car in 15 minutes with the volume shifting up and down, and no noise to hear, so I went in to the store. When I came back out the noise was back. I talked to my uncle who have been working on Audis since 1994, he told me they werent broken since the noise came and went all the time.

So now Im asking you if you know for me how to troubleshoot the problem or if you have ever had the same?

Would so much appreciate answers!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:45 PM
2nd Gear

It's just a blown speaker. There are a LOT of different ways that a speaker can be 'blown', however. It sounds like in your case, the spyder on the voicecoil might have come undone which will make the entire thing slightly unstable. You're most likely hearing the voice coil rub against the internal magnet which comes out as a weird sound (much like you described) due to the extra friction resisting the diaphragm from moving. At high amplitudes, sometimes you'll hear the voice coil actually hit the back of the enclosure.

Honestly, my driver's side speaker is doing this too, but only about 95% of the time so I don't think i'm going to replace it any time soon.

If it bothers you, you're going to just have to replace the speakers.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:47 PM
1st Gear

Thank you so much for the answer, and when the sounds appears it comes out to all the speakers, but when I have to change the speakers out, would you recommend to change the sub too?