Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My TCU DROWNED!! Is it dead??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 12:32 PM

Please post whether or not the rice worked, I'm really interested cuz I've never heard of that method.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

Hey guys, new member here. I have been reading the forums a lot but have never posted but I just have to say I think I am having the same problem currently. Right now the P-S are all illuminated when I turn my car on and when I try to shift into R or D it is shifting extremely hard.

Now to also go along with that it rained a lot over where I live and I had noticed a large puddle on my passanger side and am fearing the same issue. Where can I find how to get to my TCU to look and see if this is the case.

Also, I went to get a timing belt replacement over in charlotte a few weeks back...could the two be related (at least with the leaking maybe)? Or could one lead to the other. I have never noticed any sort of leaking before this event.

FYI I drive a 2003 3.0L with about 80k miles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

I don't think they're related. Mine is because I'm an idiot and I pried up the plastic shield that blocks water from going into the engine bay/interior, and I don't think I got it to seal quite right when I pushed it back in.
I can 99.9% guarantee you're in the same predicament I am in. DON'T DRIVE THE CAR ANYMORE! you could do alot more damage
Call your insurance company. Mine is going to fix mine minus my $500 deductible.
The TCU is open and is sitting in rice as we speak. I'll keep everyone updated on how it's working!
Thanks again,
Jeremy

Old 09-08-2008, 01:06 PM
1st Gear

I agree. Weird how all the sudden it would just start leaking. I haven't even fooled around with that whole shield area but would like to know exactly where it is at to troubleshoot the problem a little. As of right now I won't drive the car and am going to head to autozone to see if I pull the same codes as you. What did you tell the insurance company?

Old 09-08-2008, 01:10 PM
1st Gear

I told them exactly what happened. It rained hard at my house, my windshield wasn't properly sealed, and it leaked!! however, in my case, I did have my windshield replaced several weeks ago, so I told that to the insurance company as the probable cause of the leak, as the installers left broken glass here and there, it wasn't the cleanest install ever...
I would just tell them it leaked, period. It should be covered under your comprehensive.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:22 PM
1st Gear

There is a link on the web for TCU removal. It's pretty easy, just remove the door-side kickpanel with 2 screws, pry up the plastic door sill over the carpet (it just pops out, then pry up the carpet. It's in a black plastic box in the center of the floor. Most likely, it will be submerged in water
Just slide/pull the box out and open it up, remove the TCU and unclip the wiring harness by unhinging the silver clip.

I made a few mistakes. First, before I got replies, I tried plugging it in a few times to see if it would work. Apparently you shouldn't do that... Take it out, take it apart and try to let it dry first. Call Your insurance company in the meantime, just in case, unless you have alternate transportation and you can afford to wait a few days to see if it dries.
However, you should get it checked out, as you may have some plugged drainholes that might be causing you leaks...

Old 09-08-2008, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

Yeah I just lifted up the carpet to take a look at the TCU area...The thing might as well gone swimming. There is almost an inch of standing water below the carpet. I didn't bother with taking it out as it must be the same issue. I made the insurance call and they have to tow it 70 miles to the nearest shop that would even look at my car!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:37 AM
1st Gear

Does your insurance cover towing? Mine doesn't, so I'm going to end up buying AAA, as the membership will be cheaper than paying out-of-pocket for a tow...

Old 09-09-2008, 10:25 AM
1st Gear

Rice only works usually if you do it right away....i.e you drop your cell phone in the can......

Old 09-09-2008, 10:41 AM
1st Gear

...which I've done before!! Didn't know the rice trick back then. Either way, it is probably too little, too late in my case. Nonetheless, it's been there yesterday. I'll give it one last shot this afternoon and report back. Either way, the insurance adjuster came out to do the appraisal this morning, so I'll get that in the mail either Wed or Thu and take it from there with the dealership...

Quick Reply: My TCU DROWNED!! Is it dead??