Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My TCU DROWNED!! Is it dead??

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:07 PM
2nd Gear

what's the latest?

Old 09-09-2008, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

Yeah I had the towing coverage on my insurance. Mine is en route to the shop right now. I even had to disconnect my battery becuase the alarm would not stop going off last night. I'm hoping my a6 is just not an electrical disaster

Old 09-09-2008, 02:58 PM
1st Gear

Gigi, the adjuster came today. I'll get something in the mail tomorrow or Thurs. with the appraisal. Depending on what that says, I'll have it towed to Audi (I DON"T have coverage for towing, so I'll have to foot that...) to see what they do. It would be great if they also replaced the carpet due to saturation
In the meantime, it poured here again today, and NO water found its' way into the vehicle, so I'm assuming the loose windshield piece was the culprit, as I ran a bead of silicone along it on Sunday in case it rained again. It worked!
I'll keep everyone updated as this dealership/ins. comp. game begins
Charnow, keep us updated on your car, too!

Old 09-11-2008, 08:11 AM
1st Gear

HOLY CRAP!!!! IT WORKED!!!!!!!
I left the TCU board (took the cover off) in rice since Monday, took it out this morning, hooked it back up, and IT WORKS!!! Can't believe it! Took it out for a short drive, and IT WORKS!!! Unbelievable!! I still have to clear the CEL and see if there's anything else there, but so far, so good!
Amazing. Now I have to call the ins. comp. and decide what to do with the claim...

Old 09-11-2008, 09:15 AM
1st Gear

SO now I'm second guessing myself. If I do drive the car and it drives fine, and I scan the codes and it's just a stored code, does anyone think I'm running a risk by not getting a new TCU anyway, ie, could permanent damage have been done and not show up on a scan.
I don't want a non-replacement decision to come back around someday and bite me in the ***...

Old 09-11-2008, 05:04 PM
1st Gear

So, I'm going for the full Monty. There's no core charge, so I get to keep the original TCU and get the new one from Audi, as well as the interior removed, dried, cleaned and shampoo'd. Plus a rental beater for the duration. I did clear the code, and it appeared to drive fine, but it bucked a couple of times, so that's enough for me to warrant a complete replacement!!

Old 09-11-2008, 09:39 PM
2nd Gear

good luck.... will the insurance old this against you and increase yuor premium for this or next time you have a claim?

Old 09-11-2008, 09:48 PM

You may have blown some of the fuses hidden in the electronic control box under the rug, where the TCU and ECM are located. You should clean all of the terminals with electronic terminal cleaner, and dry and clean the electronics with products made for computers. If this is not done, then you could get corrosion or other problems in the future.
You should check and clean the plenum drains, which are below the plenum cover. They get plugged by leaves, etc.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:08 PM

On the newer Audi they have one of the plenum drains located under the battery, so it is easy to miss.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:49 AM
1st Gear

The ECM is under the plenum cover on the drivers side on my car. The TCU is located by iiself of the passengers floor.
Gigi, I don't *think* they'll increase my premium, as it wasn't an "at-fault" incident, but I haven't actually asked that question yet.
I'll def. check the drains, though, sunroof and under the cowl...

Quick Reply: My TCU DROWNED!! Is it dead??