Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My transmission is acting up, out of nowhere!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 08:32 PM
1st Gear
Default My transmission is acting up, out of nowhere!

I have a 1998 A6 Quattro 2.8L 30v with an automatic transmission and 124K miles. I bought the car about six months ago and it's been great, until last week. One day out of nowhere when I got in the car the transmission starting acting up. When I put it in reverse it jerks hard and when I brake slowly it jerks when down shifting. I got the idea to try to down shift manually with the tiptronic and that quit working the same day! When I try the tiptronic nothing happens, it's like its not even there. I thought to check the transmission fluid but wait, there's no dipstick under the hood?!lol I think its something like a loose wire? but I'm not sure. I ordered a new filter kit for the transmission but the more I drive it I think that when it gets here that its not going to fix it.

Can anyone help??????????

Plan and simple, I come outside one day and the transmission jerks when braking and shifting into reverse. The tiptronic quit working the same day?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:42 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: My transmission is acting up, out of nowhere!

im no expert but im sure your not suppose to shift down with the tip..... when you break it does it manually
i dont know about the rest

Old 05-12-2008, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

I just wanted to see if it still jerked when I was braking. I was just simply stating that the tiptronic quit working the same day the tranny starting acting up.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:46 PM
2nd Gear

and you don't have a cel? no codes?
I would have someone with a VAG run codes asap and stop messing with it. Trannies are expensive....

Old 05-12-2008, 08:52 PM
1st Gear

No check engine light, noises or anything. The day it started was when a friend of mine took the head unit out of the dash to look at the back of it. Then when we started the car to go leave that's when it happened. Did something come loose that would have caused this?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:04 AM
1st Gear

I also noticed today that the (2,3,4) don't work on the shifter either. Only P, N & D.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

its low on tranny fluid, i had the exact same problem.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:46 PM

You need a pump to get the ATF in the fill hole on the side of the transmission pan. You also need to follow the instructions from the Audi CD manual from Bentleypublishing.com and have VAG-COM forreading the transmission temperature. You can get a pump from blauparts.com.
You must not drive a car with transmision problems, becauseAudi transmissions are veryexpensive to replace. If changing the ATF does not make the problem go away, then you need to have the car towed to transmision shop which does Audi.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

All this didn't start happening until my friend messed with the radio. Did he maybe jar something loose behind the dash?

Old 05-14-2008, 10:07 PM
2nd Gear

the transmission is not behind the dash and the tcu is under the passengerside floor mat... nothing behind the dash so highly unlikely

Quick Reply: My transmission is acting up, out of nowhere!