Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mysterious oil leak...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 03:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Mysterious oil leak...

for starters I have an A6 with 126k on her, I'm the second owner, Original owner took great care of it.I have all the records for the car since new.

Now for the problem, Every once and a while I can smell oil inside the cabin coming from the HVAC system. I've taken all the covers off the engine and I don't see any oil seeping from the block or valve cover. Anyone else have this issue? If so what was the cause and fix? I really don't want to take it to the stealership. I can post pictures if needed let me know what would help

Old 10-26-2010, 04:09 PM
1st Gear

passanger side rear cam plug or tensioner gasket. reach your hand down the back of the head on the passanger side .. if it comes up black and oily, you have found your problem.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:11 PM
1st Gear
Old 10-27-2010, 02:06 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom
for starters I have an A6 with 126k on her, I'm the second owner, Original owner took great care of it.I have all the records for the car since new.

Now for the problem, Every once and a while I can smell oil inside the cabin coming from the HVAC system. I've taken all the covers off the engine and I don't see any oil seeping from the block or valve cover. Anyone else have this issue? If so what was the cause and fix? I really don't want to take it to the stealership. I can post pictures if needed let me know what would help
twistedfreedom -
I have the same car my friend, and the same mysterious oil leak... Every time I put my car up on the lift at my local "mod shop" its all over the bottom of my egine bay... not mass amounts so there's no puddles of oil under my car, but every once in a while I get a tad of white smoke from the engine bay so I know there's a leak somewhere and its being burnt off. I'm going to do a undercarriage body wash then take it to a shop and see if they can find the leak... If I figure out what it is before you do, I'll let you know. Take care