Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mystery flashers

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Post mystery flashers

hey i noticed today when i was at work that my flashers had started going off on my '01 A6 2.8 quattro. the car was locked and the alarm was activated. when it went off there was no horn. i was watching it flash and then it just stopped with no action by me.
I recently had a short on fuse 14 that took some lenghty diagnosing but has now been fixed for almost 2 days. see related post "unique electrical problems"
the same thing with the flashers happened a couple times when i had the short but now the short is fixed. i cant have my flashers goin off at randomn times.... any ideas???

Old 06-03-2009, 11:32 PM
2nd Gear

Try turning off the motion sensor next time you get out.
Button on the door post. Might help you narrow it down.
I think the car records the reason it was activated. Need a VagCom and run a scan.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:16 AM

yea i could do that but that would de-activate the motion sensor alarm.... doesnt the horn go off with the alarm? im havin a problem with just the flashers goin off not the whole alarm.
Besides i dont think a vag com would read correctly b/c my in dash a/v computer was hooked up old school.... before they had all that plug and play ****... all those usesless filler wires back there are left hangin.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:34 AM
4th Gear

You prolly still have a short somewhere... did you weather proof the repair good?

Old 06-05-2009, 03:40 AM

when the alarm goes off at first its the "flashers" and horn, after a few minutes the horn stops but the flashers continue for a lil bit longer. then they shut off as well!
is there any chance that you missed the horn part??

Old 06-05-2009, 02:22 PM
2nd Gear

I know my A6 sounds the alarm if you reach in an open window with the alarm on. Maybe it is a short to a vibration sensor. Like when kids rock it they have to do it more than once. If you have a short to one it may be sensing it as a vibration. Could anything else have been knocked loose while doing the diag on your last problem? Did you test wires by srtipping the insulation? Try the scanner it's worth a shot my 02 A6 showed alarm problems, someone set off alarm by trying to open rear door. If it could at least tell you taht you would have an area to focus on.

Last edited by Jackmup; 06-05-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Site Moderator

My old S4 would trip the alarm if i left the sun roof in tilt, i would usually come out to lunch and the flashers would be going off without the horn. I bet you either left a window open, or you have a bad door latch, hood latch, or trunk latch tripping the alarm. Look at the value blocks for all the doors using the vag com and make sure they register being shut at all times.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by auditech79
My old S4 would trip the alarm if i left the sun roof in tilt, i would usually come out to lunch and the flashers would be going off without the horn. I bet you either left a window open, or you have a bad door latch, hood latch, or trunk latch tripping the alarm. Look at the value blocks for all the doors using the vag com and make sure they register being shut at all times.
yeah thats wat happened to me, i left the windows down when i went to lunch and when i came out the flashers were goin off..... my alarm usually goes off when i leave the windows down (even just one) or the sunroof open. i think you can also change/lower the sensitivity of the motion sensors with vag-com....

Old 06-05-2009, 08:21 PM

yea i did have my window down a little bit when it went off and it is possible that i missed the horn part. on the last repair i was very careful not to mess anything up, and everything has been good with that short since that. I guess i will have to get a vag com and hook it up to see what its throwin... sounds like the easiest way to diagnose it, thanks to everyone for your help!!!

Old 06-06-2009, 01:32 AM

no problem man! let us know how it goes!

Quick Reply: mystery flashers