AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   need advice buying a 2.8 avant (searched) (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/need-advice-buying-2-8-avant-searched-213725/)

twopedalwarrior 02-05-2015 11:23 PM

Old tranny fluid is the harbinger of death of automatic transmissions. Audi says you don't need to change their fluid, and it is good for the life time of the vehicle, lies. Maybe if you are the one owner for 10 years.

Transmissions usually die for two reasons, heat and or worn out parts. The transmission fluid helps keep things properly lubricated and helps keeps things cool. Worn transmission fluid does the exact opposite.

If the transmission is shiffing ok and it doesn't hunt for gears or feels like it is slipping, the best way to honor its condition is buy getting new fluid put in. I am a rediculously huge advoate for replacing ALL fluids on a used vehicle when you get it. You can't count on the prior owner doing it and it will give you piece of mind.

By no means do i gaurentee that the transmission will last another 10000 or 100000 miles with new fluid. But the point being is why would you run your engine with oil well beyond the recommended change interval. I am sure you know how well an engine runs on nice new clean oil. Transmissions are just like that.

Both of our A6's have had flushes and the tranny's shift smooth and no issues.

I would opt for a flush vs a diluted system or even you changing the fluid yourself.

1) A flush completely refreshes the transmission and torque convertor with all new fluid. Pretty much any system is a forward fluishing and not a reverse flush system

2) A diluted system mixes new with old until it looks clean, not the perfect but if that is all there is in your area it will be a fine choice

3) doing the flush by yourself, for most people, is more hassel than it is worth. leveling the car, draining, disposing, toping up and you never really get the 1/3 of the fluid out of the torque convertor so you really are in a worse spot than the top two

Some people suggest to change the filter when doing a fluid change, i have never bothered. dont' feel there is enough information out there to swing me either way, and trust me by this post, ive done my research :)

Yes long, but i am here to help. I don't know where you live but call around to some of the oil change shops that offer transmission flushes. I really like the BG system and also the Valvoline fluids. After you do a flush your intervals are 3 years or 30 000 miles. Most flushes cost around 120-180usd (im canada so a bit more for us) and like changing your engine oil, transmission fluid is just as important and often overlooked.

Hope this helps, I am too tired to scroll back and spell check

twopedalwarrior 02-05-2015 11:29 PM

also, what rx7 do you own, I am a mazda guy myself, ive got a mazdaspeed mx6 in the garage for nice weather play

driftology 02-06-2015 10:07 AM

88 vert and 89 turbo 2. where is the high amp fuse box located. I imagine under the hood somewhere but everything is covered on these cars

twopedalwarrior 02-06-2015 10:29 AM

Driver side - see pic in link, you just pry off the panel

http://cck-dl.s3.amazonaws.com/2004%...20Part%201.png

If you need more specifics you can buy a Haynes VW manual that has the 2.8l for the audi. much of it applies for our vehicles. But a bently manual is considered the best out there

driftology 02-06-2015 08:10 PM

Found that one. Just assumed there would be one under the hood as well. Most cars have low voltage stuff in the cabin and the high voltage stuff under the hood. Looking for the abs fuse more specifically.

twopedalwarrior 02-06-2015 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by driftology (Post 1487212)
Found that one. Just assumed there would be one under the hood as well. Most cars have low voltage stuff in the cabin and the high voltage stuff under the hood. Looking for the abs fuse more specifically.

look under the steering wheel panel, lots of relays down there

driftology 02-15-2015 01:05 PM

first lesson learned. don't buy a used abs module. Put it in and after a couple days back to the same problem. I also found that I must have a dirty or bad wheel speed sensor.

twopedalwarrior 02-15-2015 01:28 PM

not abs related but i did buy a aftermarket maf and it was pure crap, OE worked like a charm

some aftermarket stuff is ok, and used/refurb but it can be hit and miss.

I did a big brake upgrade a while back and despite numerous bleeding efforts by me and a local shop, the only way to bleed the entire system was with help of a vagcom tool. If you get air in the abs module it makes the entire brake system pillowy. once bleed with the vagcom, brakes are peachy