Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice: Please Help: 98 A6 2.8 30v Quattro with 130k miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 12:37 AM
Default Need Advice: Please Help: 98 A6 2.8 30v Quattro with 130k miles

Hello To All,

I am looking into purchasing my 1st Audi.
It is a 1998 A6 2.8 Quattro Sedan.
The seller has stated the things wrong with the car, But I just wanted to get some advice from you, please.....

Here is how the Add Reads:

UP FOR SALE IS A 1998 AUDI A6 2.8 QUATTRO 30 VALVE BLUE /TAN LEATHER INTERIOR LADY DRIVEN CAR IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION IN AND OUT THIS CAR HAS A FEW THINGS WHICH NEED TO BE FIXED REASON WHY THE CAR IS BEING SOLD FOR SO LOW THIS CAR RUNS AND DRIVES BUT HAS THE FOLLOWING THINGS WHICH NEED TO BE FIXED : FRONT ROTORS NEED TO BE REPLACED CAUSING BRAKE LIGHT TO STAY ON ($150) , TIPTRONIC IS NOT WORKING WHICH CAUSES THE CAR TO SHIFT SOMETIMES NOT NORMAL ($500), DRIVERS WINDOW NEEDS A REGULATOR ($175) AND DRIVERS SEAT DOES NOT MOVE BACK AND FOURTH WHICH COULD BE THE FUSE OR MIGHT NEED SEAT MOTOR REBUILT ($100).. THESE REPAIRS SHOULD COST NO MORE THAN $1000 TO FIX AND HAVE A BRAND NEW RUNNING CAR ..
THIS CAR HAS NEW BRAKES NEW TIRES TIMING BELT REPLACED ...

The car has 130,000 miles and she will let it go for $4,000 is this a good price?
Will I need to Invest much more then what the seller is stating above?
Are there any known issues with this model of car.
Are engine , Trannys and A/c strong on these cars.

I have a budget of up to $2k for maintanance if I get this car or will I need to have more like $5k??

Can you please let me know...sorry for the long post...would love to become part of this knolagable community!!!

Thank you Very Very Much!!!

Old 12-17-2006, 12:58 AM
Default RE: Need Advice: Please Help: 98 A6 2.8 30v Quattro with 130k miles

One other item I did not mention, the seller stated that the Check Engine Light is on... but tis is because of the tiptronic issue...

Is the seller feeding me a line of BS and I am going to need engine work or a new tranny?
Or is this an ok car and the 2.8 engines and trannys are good??

Thanks agian!!!

Old 12-17-2006, 01:25 AM
1st Gear

was the timing belt replaced? did she say anything about that. If not, then dont even buy this car

Old 12-17-2006, 02:09 AM

FallOut - here is what the seller says:

THIS CAR HAS NEW BRAKES NEW TIRES TIMING BELT REPLACED

So the answer to your question is YES.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:26 AM
1st Gear

hmm thats awsome, well get a mechanic on that thang asap and see wats up cuz this may be a pretty good deal

Old 12-17-2006, 10:04 PM
3rd Gear

I say if you can fix this stuff yourself, it is an excellent deal. If you have to pay to have it fixed, then it is still a good deal, but I am a little weary of people that neglect their cars and then sell them cheap. Reminds me of a friends old Taurus, he never replaced a thing in 130k miles. If you asked him what need to be replaced, he would say breaks, the broken sway bar link and the muffler. If you asked me, I would say: shocks, tie rods, ball joints, control arms, breaks, exhaust................. get the picture. So long as you take it to a mechanic and have them check it over for oil leaks, check the suspension, your good to go.

Good luck,

just a thought, if it would only cost ~$1000.00 to fix, why doesn't the seller fix the problems and sell it for a lot more money.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:32 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Jeffla

I say if you can fix this stuff yourself, it is an excellent deal. If you have to pay to have it fixed, then it is still a good deal, but I am a little weary of people that neglect their cars and then sell them cheap. Reminds me of a friends old Taurus, he never replaced a thing in 130k miles. If you asked him what need to be replaced, he would say breaks, the broken sway bar link and the muffler. If you asked me, I would say: shocks, tie rods, ball joints, control arms, breaks, exhaust................. get the picture. So long as you take it to a mechanic and have them check it over for oil leaks, check the suspension, your good to go.

Good luck,

just a thought, if it would only cost ~$1000.00 to fix, why doesn't the seller fix the problems and sell it for a lot more money.
it could be the seller is already has money or something

like me, my paintball gun broke. I bought everything for about $500, used it 3 times and it would cost me about $70 to repair it, but im not about to fix it cause i dont have time and if i sell it for anything ill be happy, cuz i havent used it in a year and its only a bonus when i sell it towards my a6 and im about to sell everything for $200

Old 12-17-2006, 11:51 PM
1st Gear

be reel new brakes fitted ?this inclued new rotters ? triptronic issues just beteen 1 shtft or throughout the box? watch out

Old 12-18-2006, 12:21 AM
1st Gear

I have a 98 a6 2.8 with 130k lol I think that if you just look around more youll find a better deal. if you have around 2k for maintenance and he was 4k thats 6k total. I would say (especially because of the transmission problems), to stay away from it. you can find another good deal at some point for around 6k mileage and condition may vary, but it will save you the headache of repairs. If there was no trans problems i'd say go for it. Personally transmission problems and (internal) engine problems just seem like a gigantic can of worms. I hope this helps you

Old 12-18-2006, 12:24 AM
2nd Gear

I'm with jetts. A bit skeptical on the brakes and concerned about the tranny. Couple of grand if that puppy goes. Two ways to make a good decision here...

Do TONS of reading here and on other forums to learn about the car (what tends to go wrong, what to look for in an older one, how to validate the statements made by the sell -- always a tough one -- etc.)...

or

...take it to a well-recommended, local garage that specializes in Audis and ask them to do a pre-sale inspection of the car. It will cost you, but it's a great investment in peace of mind and you'll probably get some of it back in info that you can use to bargain for a better price. Check the regional forum here or on www.audiworld.com to find recommendations for one in your area (courtesy would have you search first, then post a link asking for recommendations if you don't find what you're looking for).

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Need Advice: Please Help: 98 A6 2.8 30v Quattro with 130k miles