Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help 1999 A6 quattro

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 09:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Need help 1999 A6 quattro

Okay, so about 1 week ago i was driving in boston, ( i live in New Hampshire) and i was going to a celtics game. i was in stop and go traffic and i was stopped when i began to smell a light burning (rubbery) smell. i got out checked the engine/car couldnt find anything, then the smell went away when i drove, another time i was in park at a gas station went in to buy gum, came out walked in my car and smelt the same thing and checked it again couldnt find anything.

Now her is the kicker. i just got back from 5 nights in NY nobody drove my car, and it has been VERY VERY cold in NH. this morning tried to start my car. it was dead, so i jumped it and after a long time it was working. however now the check engine light is on. i can smell the buringing alot more. i saw the smoke and it looks like its from the right front side. the other BIG problem now is my car is not accelerating like usually when i floor it, it doesnt really move much at all. over the time i was gone there was a 1/5 tank of gas in the car, so i think myb it is my injector i filled up the car fully and put injector cleaner. but im very scared. anybody no what any of this stuff is. i do usually drive my car in "Triptronic" could it be my Trans. I would appreciate ANY help

Old 01-27-2007, 05:03 AM
Default RE: Need help 1999 A6 quattro

I just got my 1999 A6 back from the dealer last week after a similar problem (big bucks). It got real cold her in Minnesota and on my way home from work and my car started to steam. After several stops I made it home,however, had quite a bit of oil on the garage floor the next morning when I looked. It turned out to be leaks on two seperate cam shaft seals (don't know how this relates to the steaming oil--not much of a techie) There were also two smaller leaks. I would definitely have it looked at sooner rather than later. Mine has 140,000 miles. Hope this helps some--good luck.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:56 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Need help 1999 A6 quattro

The "check engine light" is a classic "idiot light" that tells you VERY little. What is DOES tell you is that the car's computer is storing a code that will provide you with much more info. To read that code out of the car's computer, you need something called a VAG COM (software that runs on your 'puter + a special cable that hooks up to your car). Some Autozones have these and will read the codes out for you. Alternatively, you can find a garage that has one and have them do it. Alternatively, you can do a search for "VAG COM locator" and find somebody who owns one year you. In any event, not much can be done to diagnose your problem without this info.

Good luck.