Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with my wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:39 AM
1st Gear
Default Need help with my wheels

I have a 2001 A6 2.7T. Last night I installed 18" wheels that I bought originally for my 2000 VW Golf from edgeracing.com. After installation the car at first would not move. I stepped on the gas more then it started moving a little but I would hear a metal grinding noise coming from the wheels. I check all 4 wheels and notice that some bolts came loose. I re-tightened them and tried it again. It would not move again and had to step on the gas pedal. I suspect that the bolts are too long, has anyone heard of this before? did I do any damage by tring to move the car? I also took one of the bolts out and saw somemetal shavings. If it is too long where do I get shorter bolts? do they have sizes? Thanks!

Old 08-29-2007, 10:13 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Need help with my wheels

My car just did this when I put my new wheels/spacers on. The studs were too long. I received 40mm bolts with my spacers, and it did exactly that. Of course, I instantly realized there was a problem so I didn't try to move it. I had ECS tuning send me 35mm bolts for the front and it fixed it. Your back bolts can be longer and might be ok.

So yes, your wheels bolts are too long. I doubt you did any damage unless you really tried to drive off, but don't try and drive anymore until you get it taken care of.

Measure your bolt length, then go on www.ecstuning.com and find the next size down. They offer wheel studs in a lot of different lengths for you so you can find what you need. Use a tape measure or ruler and measure the bolt length and then go down to the next size.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:22 AM
1st Gear

Thank you so much! but I did try and drive it a around the block to test it. Hope I didn't do any damage. My wheels didn't come with spacers. Do I need them? right now the specs for the wheel are 18-8.5 with 225/40 18"

and 35+ offset? dont know what that is. does the offset come with the wheels? or do I have to but them? sorry no idea.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:45 AM
1st Gear

Actually, those are the perfect tire size for the 18" on the A6 - equivalent to stock. I highly doubt an 18-8.5 with 35mm + offset would need spacers. 35+ means the wheels mounting surface is +35mm beyond the wheels center line (if you drew a line right down the middle of the rim looking at it from the front) You probably already know that you are clearing your brakes or you wouldn't have rolled at all so that's not an issue.

I needed spacers because the wheels I chose were rubbing the suspension uprights.

It sounds like all you need are the right wheel studs and you are set. Actually, call into www.ecstuning.com, tell them what you have and they will probably be able to recommend you the right stud size without measuring. Since you have aftermarket wheels, you need conical seat studs; you can't use the stock A6 ball studs on aftermarket wheels. One phone call should get you fixed up.

As far as the damage, I don't know to be honest. I only moved about 5" before I knew I had a problem. I admire your determination.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

Thank you again! I will call them right now.