Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

in need of info & help on drivers side mirror - its broke!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:14 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation in need of info & help on drivers side mirror - its broke!

Hello,
I have an 02 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 - I just noticed today that my driver's side mirror is broken - My mirrors are the auto-tint / heated ones and my driver's side mirror looks as if the mechanism for auto tinting broke, I have a line going horizontally across it about 3/4 of the way up and the bottom section is fuzzy but is the normal color whereas the top 1/4 section is a weird golden color (looks like the auto-tint is always on with that top section)

My question is can i just replace the front (outter most part - the actual mirror) or is there a larger unit behind it i need to replace - and i have been looking online for replacement already and am just finding non-heated/ non auto-tint mirrors - even when i search as specific as possible

Anyone have this problem happen before?

Thanks in advance

Old 09-14-2010, 08:37 PM
1st Gear

After going through 25 pages in this a6 section of the forums i found one mention of such a problem - an individual stated that the heated feature of the side mirrors are activated with the rear window defroster and he left it on and it burnt out the mirrors - turning them brown - which is what i described as a gold color - he just replaced the mirror and didn't hook up the wire for the heater function

Can anyone verify this or has anyone had this happen but due to another reason?

Also where should i look for a oem replacement part (regardless if i decide to not hook up the heater function or keep it)

Thanks

Old 09-15-2010, 08:43 AM
3rd Gear

I don't think the problem with the separation is the heater - It is age. The brown color is where the material is seperating.

It is a common problem on many vehicles not just Audi - I just replace the mirror and attach the wire.

I usually get a whole assembly - used - from Force Five because they don't sell just the mirror. That way I can see how to take it apart and I have some stuff to add to my Audi junk pile.