Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice...not familiar with Audi's

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:43 PM
1st Gear
Talking Need some advice...not familiar with Audi's

OK so let me explain. I currently have a mustang 97' totally reliable car and in showroom condition. I posted an ad on craigslist cause my car doesn't match my family. <-- I have two kids. Someone responded and wats to trade his 99' Audi A6 V6 Quattro for my mustang. His car is fully loaded but has 140k miles. Look I am not an idiot I know his car is still worth more then mine but he is 19 looking for a kids car and I am looking for a family car. I just don't know what to look for. My boyfriend is not that handy and I am the one that fixes everything ...what should I be looking at or questions to ask when I go drive it? What goes wrong around 140k miles? How long will this car last for? I looked online and it's a nice looking model..so I am happy with that, however I know that my mustang is not going to break down anytime in the next 2 years everything is perfect with that.. Any advice would really help me out...Thanks

Old 04-13-2010, 05:57 PM
1st Gear

What to ask a 19 y/o kid looking to trade an Audi wagon for a 'Stang. . . .

What does the trade deal look like? Can he provide any service records at all? There's not much of a chance this car would still be running if at least one timing belt change hasn't been done, so I think you're safe there. I'd be looking for stuff that needs done on ANY car of this age - O2's, trans fluid and filter change, coolant leakdown, CV boots(!), tie rods, brakes, etc.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:06 PM
1st Gear

The Car is a sedan...and he did say he also replace the catalytic converter. I wasn't privy on the timing belt or water pump questions but I am going to ask. Apparently he bought the car from a women a year ago. She used to drive the car back and forth to Cali. and I am sure he said he has all the receipts. But I will find out all that tonight. I just wanted to make sure what questions to ask. Thanks for the quick response

Old 04-13-2010, 08:06 PM
2nd Gear

If a cat failed, chances are the second one will fail shortly.
At 140k miles the car may be due for its second timing belt change, depending on when the first one got replaced.
Is the car you are looking at a 2.8 or a 2.7t? If it is a turbo there is some inexpensive preventive maintenance that should be done, such as replacing the diverter valves with the updated model, and a Samco boot.
I have found my 2000 A6 2.7t tip tranny to be much MORE reliable than the 2005 A4 with its crappy automatic tranny. I got rid of the A4 at 28k miles and I am still driving the A6 with its 100k miles.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:46 PM
1st Gear

Not sure if it's a 2.8 or 2.7 but it is an automatic. Why would the second Cat fail? Does that mean there is an underlining problem that hasn't been dealt with. He said that one day the car made a awful sound like the sound with no muffler and he took it in and had the whole cat replaced. My boyfriend just came home from work and a guy at his job used to be a mechanic and said I would be stupid for trading out my mustang for this Audi. I don't see why? Mustangs fall apart all the time, I just happen to know that this one (mine) is in good condition but I have no clue what tomorrow will bring. Well I was supposed to go and meet the kid today to drive it but something came up and it is now moved to tomorrow So hopefully I can get some more knowledge on this before I make a decision.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:02 PM
2nd Gear

The car has 2 cats, and each get the same treatment. It has been my personal experience with Audi that the cats fail within a few months of each other. There are some after-market cats that do not cost anywhere near as much as the Audi part and you should be fine with that.
The big difference between the 2.8 and 2.7t is a straight V6 (2.8) vs. a twin turbo car (2.7t). You will love the performance of the 2.7t, especially if you chip it.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:11 PM
3rd Gear

Ellenamarie, I love my Audi, otherwise I would not be on this forum. But an 11 year old Audi with 140k miles will become a money pit. If you have two kids and a boyfriend, you have enough financial challenges. Find a more reliable car or just find a way to stuff two car seats in that 'stang. This is not a car for a woman who expects to just turn the key and go.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:38 PM
1st Gear

Well I appreciate everyone's honesty. It's making me not want to go and see this car. I thought this might be a good deal but I am now thinking otherwise. I mean who knows about this car. Not me or anyone else cause we haven't seen it or driven it...but from the way this sounds something with this many miles on it, I guess it's bound for disaster...I thought these cars were supposed to last well beyond 200k miles if maintained? I guess that wishful thinking then ....

Old 04-13-2010, 09:53 PM
1st Gear

I hate to say I'm going to have to agree with ppgoal...

most cars can last well beyond 200k miles if well maintained...a LOT of maintenance...as others have mentioned, it's quite possible it may be approaching its second period on some serious components...this particular car is on it's second owner, who happens to be 19 years old and rather have a hot rod...how hard you imagine he drove it before he decided he needed more...? I kind of agree with others here, if the full service records are available, then you might have a shot...if not, I'd pass.

Whether you end up going with this one or finding something else, I'm sure you'll find something you like, sometimes the search can take a little longer than you may want it to

Old 04-14-2010, 10:08 AM
1st Gear

Ellena,
I'd still take a look at it. Do not be scared off. It is surprising to me that those on an Audi forum, of all places, continue to divert others away from the marque. ANY car with these miles is bound to have some issues. This car is AWD, likely has a sunroof(?), leather, CD, and is just plain sexy. What else can you get for this kind of money? A 13 y/o Mustang.

FYI all, the 2.7 was not introduced until 2000, and if this car is a '99, it is a 2.8. Therefore, you will have no issues with turbos failing (yay!). I highly doubt the first belt service was done so early that it'd be ready for a second. Maybe, maybe, in, 30k to 40k miles. . . maybe.

But, I still don't know what the actual $ looks like, so I cannot say if this is a "good deal", but I'd bet it is, for you. What is really cool, IMO, is that when certain things go, you can replace aftermarket and make this thing really sweet.

Okay, I've got $0.04 in the mix now.

Quick Reply: Need some advice...not familiar with Audi's