Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New A6 2.7T owner with questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:24 PM
1st Gear
Default New A6 2.7T owner with questions.

Old car

Last edited by mad_bison; 07-12-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:33 PM
1st Gear

Also, I haven't quite found the amplifier in the rear and rear subwoofer. Did the A6's come with any rear speakers installed?

I have read a few posts that say it's quite common for the rears speakers to stop working.

Just things to look at I suppose!

Cheers!

Old 04-10-2012, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

Not sure why you're having so much trouble getting it out - once the two phillips screws above the column are out, it should just slide out and you disconnect the three connectors in back. Maybe there's something sticky that spilled in around the edges of the cluster? In mine the PO seems to have sprayed the console with a soda at some time - I keep finding dried sugar residue everywhere...
Re-coding a new cluster isn't too big a task, unless you have an immobilizer, for which you need a PIN number to code the keys to. There is some info on how to tell if yours has one here: Immobilizer - Ross-Tech Wiki
If yours does, make sure the new cluster is the same generation or it may not work...
I generally tell folks to keep the original cluster and get it repaired rather than switch them out just because of this. Possibly some of the people who repair the cluster displays would be able to replace your plastic front cover at the same time?
Jim

Old 04-11-2012, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Jim

Yeh i've removed plenty of clusters before in other cars...and this one just will not budge!

On my old mazda I had to unhook the speedo cable in the engie bay to give it slack to the cluster, but that shouldn't happen for this car.

I'll see about getting a dealer replacement, and I do have access to a VAG com.

Re immobilizer...I'll have to check that later in the day.

I think the PO in mine also spilled something as it's also very difficult (read: screwdriver needed) to open the ash-tray/cigarette lighter location.

Horrible people that don't care for nice cars!

Old 04-11-2012, 02:02 PM
3rd Gear

Immobilizers were standard starting 2001. Your 2000 most likely does not have the immobilizer. As for the removal of the cluster, I don't know why it would be stuck. It is only held with 2 screws as discussed. Recoding the cluster to switch between the cars is straight forward, but your mileage will not reflect the actual mileage.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

When you get the cluster out, send it to Module Masters to have the pixels in the LCD screen fixed. They might even throw in a new plastic cover for it. Last I heard it was around $200 plus shipping. The dealer will charge $850 for the cluster and whatever book rate is to install. They told me that when mine was replaced under warranty.

A 6 speed with only 110k miles, nice find. I'd love a 6 speed.

A good place for used parts is audi4parts.com. They are always parting out A6s and are very reasonable in price.

Last edited by threeputtpar; 04-11-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:05 PM
3rd Gear

I would not bother with the cup holder in the console (behind the shifter). It will either punch holes in styrofoam cups or you will bang into it with your elbow when shifting. If you have the subwoofer, it is located in the trunk on the passenger side. I think there is a plastic vent in front of it. You should have an access panel in the rear corner that allows you to get at the tail light bulbs and the subwoofer, plus a little storage area (for smuggling a bottle of booze).

Old 04-11-2012, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

Yeh I was reading about fixing the LCD myself. I'm pretty comfortable with soldering/destroying stuff, so I figured I'd give it a go first to see if I could save myself some money.

guess i'll go try again with the cluster.

after being in the us for 8months, i sat for my licence today and passed no issues. that measn i can register/insure my car now!

Is it possible that my car doesn't have the subwoofer? It has the audi symphony sound system, and it sounds good upfront, but there's nothing in the rear oddly.

And i'll keep an eye on audi4parts.com

Old 04-12-2012, 05:43 PM
1st Gear

Good to see another a6 come to forums. A word of advice once you fix all the cosmetic stuff is pick your fluids carefully.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

SUCCESS!

Now to decide how to fix it. I can buy a second cluster and just steal the outer cover for pretty cheap. I also want to #attempt# to fix the lcd cluster myself.

Maybe i'll try it on the dodgy spare cluster first.

Thoughts?

EDIT: also Crisp, interesting statement. You;ve had bad experiences with fluids? What would you recommend? (again, new to audis. had/got VW's, volvos and mazdas.)

Quick Reply: New A6 2.7T owner with questions.