Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New A6 owner with a few probs

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Question New A6 owner with a few probs

I just bought an 03 A6 3.0 fwd this is my first audi and so far i love it but it has some probs. First is the dome lights flicker on and off when I am driving the door lights dont come on on the dash, just front and back roof dome lights. Second is the trans shifts funny it feels like i am riding with someone that does not know how to drive a stick but it is an auto. Third and final is the water temp gauge allways stays on cold no matter how long i drive the car for 20min or the other day I put 300 miles on it and the temp did not move. any help would be great thx. BTW the car has 96,687 miles on it

Old 02-17-2009, 08:23 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Missingman
I just bought an 03 A6 3.0 fwd this is my first audi and so far i love it but it has some probs. First is the dome lights flicker on and off when I am driving the door lights dont come on on the dash, just front and back roof dome lights. Second is the trans shifts funny it feels like i am riding with someone that does not know how to drive a stick but it is an auto. Third and final is the water temp gauge allways stays on cold no matter how long i drive the car for 20min or the other day I put 300 miles on it and the temp did not move. any help would be great thx. BTW the car has 96,687 miles on it
I can't understand what you mean abouit your dome lights... ???
You are more than likley due for new ATF in the tranny (I am assuming Tiptronic).
Your thermostat may be stuck. Because of the mileage of the car you are also due for a timing belt (if this hasn't been doen yet) , the water pump and thermost would be replaced at that time since all the components are already out. I know... Ouch!

Last edited by zippy_gg; 02-17-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:34 PM

Yes it is the tiptronic thank you. The best way i can explain the lights is it is like someone has oppend the door and then closed it quickly. But the lights on the dash that say the doors r open never comes on ,and none of the other inside lights flicker only the lights on the roof. They have a swith for on,off, and door if I switch them to off they dont flicker but if I switch them to door they flicker.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:12 PM
3rd Gear

It sounds like there's something loose that makes contact when it doesn't suppose to do so. However, it is strange that only the front ones flicker.

A few considerations:

1) I would check all the fuses monitoring or having anything to do with the interior lights.

2) Does your instrument panel warning light actually come on when you open a door?
If it does, then probably there's nothing wrong or loose inside the dashboard. Also, if the warning light comes on when you open a door, then those sensor-***** on the door sill are fine too.
If the warning light doesn't come on when you open a door, then you may have a short somewhere along the circuit.

3) You need to dismount the front doors light units and the "dome" (on the sunroof switch cover plate?) unit and look for a loose connection plate for the switch itself- shown in the insert pic.
However, it would be absurd that all three units have loose connection plates that rattle the same time, and cause flickering the same time...

This is a new one... good luck.
Please post findings.

Attached Thumbnails New A6 owner with a few probs-dscn6924.jpg   New A6 owner with a few probs-dscn6922.jpg  
Old 02-18-2009, 12:45 AM
3rd Gear

I though 3.0 fwd had CVT, not tip? Anyways, if it is CVT, it is somewhat well known for its bad design.

As for the dome light, I would check to see if opening one door vs another makes a difference.

Coolant temp gauge is mostly likely due to the Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS). $50 fix if you DIY.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:20 PM
1st Gear

Hey I just bought my 4.2 tip and have some of the same issues.

Whether in Tip, D or S it shifts like a nube driving a stick, especially in/out of 2nd but not all the time(?). When coming to a stop it often hangs on to 1st or 2nd too long causing the engine to stumble.

And the dome light thing is bizarre, if a passenger open the door the dome lights come on and the instrument panel displays the door is open. If I open the driver's door nothing shows on the display, no door chime but the dome lights blink regularly like they're wired to a relay.

WTF?

Old 04-17-2009, 01:43 AM
1st Gear

The dome light issue has nothing to do with the dome light! If it is not showing on the lcd as ajar when its open its not being detected. I bet if you unlock the doors and open and close the drivers door the auto re-lock will still lock the car as if you didnt open the door at all. Its the sensor in the door. You have to open up the drivers door and replace the latch and sensor. Ask me how i know!!! Good Luck!

Old 04-17-2009, 01:21 PM
1st Gear

autolock? yeah, that doesn't work either.