AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   New Audi owner with some engine trouble.... yay (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/new-audi-owner-some-engine-trouble-yay-137544/)

Lscheres 08-25-2009 02:22 PM

New Audi owner with some engine trouble.... yay

So i just bought a 2004 Audi a6 s-line with the 2.7t, great car, extremely clean. But.... the check engine light came on while out on the text drive, It only does it at high rpms, like 6500 ish it flashes and turns off. So the car lot said they'd fix the check engine light. lol they obviously don't know European cars. Anyway vagcom said misfires on 1,2,3 the mechanic said it might be the belt tensioner but those usually make noise or something when they start to go out, this one isnt. So he is more leaning to the belt on that bank is off one tooth. So it misses in the higher rpms, less compression yada yada yada. anyway i was wondering what anyone elses opinions were. The car lot said instead of paying the 1500+ to get it fixed they could get a 2 year power train warranty that would cover the motor and tranny for a lot less... Little skeptic on it but a new motor would be cool if this one blows. I would love to keep the car for quite a while so i dont mind putting a little into it

*Will post pics soon*

Jeffla 08-25-2009 02:33 PM

How many miles are on the car?

hxgaser 08-25-2009 04:13 PM

If the timing is off, you should get a cam positioner related code in addition to the misfire codes. Do you by any chance have all the codes?

Lscheres 08-25-2009 07:27 PM

Its just past 77777, ya im going to go to my buddys house tonight, Hes got vag-com:cool: and check it out more for myself. i kinda felt like the mechanic was being a douche. Tonight ill post all of the codes i can get then i guess ill go from there. might get the warrenty no matter what just in case

Jeffla 08-25-2009 08:26 PM

was it's timing belt just replaced? maybe whoever did it did not get everything lined up properly. If it was not recently changed, you are due for a new belt.

Jackmup 08-25-2009 09:11 PM

And just like an Audi it welcomes you with a brilliant yellow CEL.

If it only does it at high speeds might be the belt. I would also think ignition control, Cam postion sensor,

Does tghe CEL flash when you get on it then go away when you let off the gas and come back when you get on it. If it was the belt i would sort of expect it to do it when you nail it not just at high RPM because that is when the tensioner would need to take up the slack.

Thing with the warranty is will it cover the engine if the belt breaks seeing as how the belt is a maintenance item??????

Does a 2.7t have an ignition control module or is it controled through the ECM?

ppgoal 08-26-2009 12:39 PM

Like already stated, have your friend pull and you post all the codes.

The dealer sounds like a flake. I would recommend negotiating as long a warranty as possible, at least to 100k miles. Don't expect it to cover the TB change as this is generally considered maintenance, not repairs.

Lscheres 08-26-2009 03:26 PM

Ya i dont know for sure if the car lot knew the cel light was on. My uncle works there and said they just got it in and hadn't really driven it much. And the cel light goes off it just comes on when the rpms go over 6200. But last nioght i went to a friends to use his vagcom, and he said his vw passat with the 2.8 just had the same trouble and it was his cam chain tensioner, or cam adjuster. His was misfiring at low rpms because his bottom boot was broken hes very sure my top one is broken and thats why it mises at the higher rpms and the same mises on every cylinder. so this weekend im going to take my valve cover off and take a look and see if hes right. YAY that should only take a couple hours lol

hxgaser 08-26-2009 04:45 PM

Cam chain tensioner or the timing belt tensioner... They are two different things. If your cam chain tensioner is bad, then you can usually hear it. Your motor should sound like a diesel. Also you need a cam chain tensioner tool to removed the tensioner. On the other hand, it could be the timing belt tensioner... and it is not easily accessible.

Lscheres 08-26-2009 05:39 PM

ya i know some one with the tensionor remover tool. and ya i know its not eaily accessible but i dont do much on the weekends so i dont think its going to take longer than two days. he said its probably the shoe or whatever the chain rides on. his was completely broken and made no noise and all it would do was just mis-fire and ideal, so im gana take his advice for no atleast and hope its not to much of a pain in the ass

loach1 08-26-2009 08:38 PM

If one bank is misfiring and there is no code for cam position, it could well be the ignition module for that bank. Look on the air box for the two modules, swap the harnesses from one module to the other then see if the mighty VAG reports misfires on the other bank.

Jackmup 08-26-2009 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by loach1 (Post 1119229)
If one bank is misfiring and there is no code for cam position, it could well be the ignition module for that bank. Look on the air box for the two modules, swap the harnesses from one module to the other then see if the mighty VAG reports misfires on the other bank.

I agree, You should test the module.
If anything just to say you did.

Lscheres 08-27-2009 04:13 PM

i found a warranty from warranty direct, its a 5 year warranty 100,000 for 2,146. it just a power-train warranty plus electrical components like ac and shit. it covers - -

This Contract covers ONLY the components/parts listed below:

ENGINE. (a) The following lubricated internal parts: pistons, pins & rings, connecting rods & bearings; crankshaft & main bearings; camshaft, followers & cam bearings; push rods, valves, springs, replaceable guides, seats & lifters; rocker arms, shafts & bushings; timing gear, chain, tensioners & retainers; eccentric shaft; oil pump. (b) Timing belt; serpentine belt; Water pump: Impeller shaft, bearings, bushings & housing; intake & exhaust manifolds; engine mounts & cushions; engine torque strut; harmonic balancer; flywheel (flexplate) & flywheel ring gear; mechanical fuel pump; dipstick & tube; all pulleys. (c) All lubricated internal parts of the vehicle manufacturer installed turbocharger or supercharger. The housing is covered ONLY if damaged by the Failure of a lubricated internal part. (d) Engine head(s); engine block; cylinder barrels; timing cover; valve cover(s); oil pan; dipstick & tube, ONLY if damaged by the Failure of a lubricated internal part.

TRANSMISSION. (a) All lubricated internal parts contained within the case(s). (b) Computer modules & solenoids; filler tube & dipstick; vacuum modulator; internal linkage. (c) Transmission case, transfer case & torque converter case, ONLY if damaged by the Failure of a lubricated internal part.

DRIVE AXLE. (a) All lubricated internal parts contained within the housing(s). (b) Axle shafts; constant velocity joints (CV); universal joints; drive shafts; locking hubs; locking rings; supports, retainer & bearings. (c) Differential housing, transaxle housing & final drive housing, ONLY if damaged by the Failure of a lubricated internal part.

OPTIONAL ENHANCED COVERAGE (Coverage must be marked on your application page and identification card)
ELECTRICAL: Starter Motor, alternator, voltage regulator, power window motors, heater fan and front wiper motor.
AIR CONDITIONING: Compressor Motor, condenser and evaporator, compressor clutch, coil; (pulley and hoses are not covered).

i just wanted a second opinion or two on it before i decided, the limit for the engine parts is only 3300 and 2200 for tranny and 1500 for the differential 500 for electrical and 500 for ac. and that's only only thing im worried about it just doesn't seem like it would be enough limit for an Audi. Isn't the turbos failing about 6000 to fix???

Thanks for all the help btw everyone. Im going to check those ignition modules today and ill post back if anything changes

sad audi customer 08-28-2009 05:39 PM

Check Engine light on 2008 Audi A6-Random misfires

I have owned my Audi A6 for less then a year and it is at the dealer for the 3rd time in four months with a "check Engine Light" The Dealer says the vehicle has random misfire, adds a fuel additive, drives it for 60 miles, keeps it overnight, does a cold start in the morning and tells me everything is ok. After going through this entire process 3 times in 4 months....It is not OK. Audi has sold me a Lemon and will not admit they can not fix the problem. I am so dissappointed in the lack of customer service that I have received from Audi of North America. I have wanted the A6 for the last 5 years, it was my dream car, but now it has become a nightmare....I have asked Audi financial for a refund for all the days my car has been in the shop. I keep getting the run around from everyone at Audi, the Dealer (Audi of Downtown LA), Audi North America and Audi Financial. Why should I be paying for a car that is constantly in the shop? Any advice? :

renaissance_warrior 08-28-2009 09:48 PM

You already posted, yes? Did they rebuild your engine, are you the same man? Pick it up and take it to small claims court if lack of use cost you money.