Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Audi owner with some engine trouble.... yay

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:22 PM
1st Gear
Default New Audi owner with some engine trouble.... yay

So i just bought a 2004 Audi a6 s-line with the 2.7t, great car, extremely clean. But.... the check engine light came on while out on the text drive, It only does it at high rpms, like 6500 ish it flashes and turns off. So the car lot said they'd fix the check engine light. lol they obviously don't know European cars. Anyway vagcom said misfires on 1,2,3 the mechanic said it might be the belt tensioner but those usually make noise or something when they start to go out, this one isnt. So he is more leaning to the belt on that bank is off one tooth. So it misses in the higher rpms, less compression yada yada yada. anyway i was wondering what anyone elses opinions were. The car lot said instead of paying the 1500+ to get it fixed they could get a 2 year power train warranty that would cover the motor and tranny for a lot less... Little skeptic on it but a new motor would be cool if this one blows. I would love to keep the car for quite a while so i dont mind putting a little into it

*Will post pics soon*

Old 08-25-2009, 02:33 PM
3rd Gear

How many miles are on the car?

Old 08-25-2009, 04:13 PM
3rd Gear

If the timing is off, you should get a cam positioner related code in addition to the misfire codes. Do you by any chance have all the codes?

Old 08-25-2009, 07:27 PM
1st Gear

Its just past 77777, ya im going to go to my buddys house tonight, Hes got vag-com and check it out more for myself. i kinda felt like the mechanic was being a douche. Tonight ill post all of the codes i can get then i guess ill go from there. might get the warrenty no matter what just in case

Old 08-25-2009, 08:26 PM
3rd Gear

was it's timing belt just replaced? maybe whoever did it did not get everything lined up properly. If it was not recently changed, you are due for a new belt.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:11 PM
2nd Gear

And just like an Audi it welcomes you with a brilliant yellow CEL.

If it only does it at high speeds might be the belt. I would also think ignition control, Cam postion sensor,

Does tghe CEL flash when you get on it then go away when you let off the gas and come back when you get on it. If it was the belt i would sort of expect it to do it when you nail it not just at high RPM because that is when the tensioner would need to take up the slack.

Thing with the warranty is will it cover the engine if the belt breaks seeing as how the belt is a maintenance item??????

Does a 2.7t have an ignition control module or is it controled through the ECM?

Old 08-26-2009, 12:39 PM
3rd Gear

Like already stated, have your friend pull and you post all the codes.

The dealer sounds like a flake. I would recommend negotiating as long a warranty as possible, at least to 100k miles. Don't expect it to cover the TB change as this is generally considered maintenance, not repairs.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

Ya i dont know for sure if the car lot knew the cel light was on. My uncle works there and said they just got it in and hadn't really driven it much. And the cel light goes off it just comes on when the rpms go over 6200. But last nioght i went to a friends to use his vagcom, and he said his vw passat with the 2.8 just had the same trouble and it was his cam chain tensioner, or cam adjuster. His was misfiring at low rpms because his bottom boot was broken hes very sure my top one is broken and thats why it mises at the higher rpms and the same mises on every cylinder. so this weekend im going to take my valve cover off and take a look and see if hes right. YAY that should only take a couple hours lol

Old 08-26-2009, 04:45 PM
3rd Gear

Cam chain tensioner or the timing belt tensioner... They are two different things. If your cam chain tensioner is bad, then you can usually hear it. Your motor should sound like a diesel. Also you need a cam chain tensioner tool to removed the tensioner. On the other hand, it could be the timing belt tensioner... and it is not easily accessible.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:39 PM
1st Gear

ya i know some one with the tensionor remover tool. and ya i know its not eaily accessible but i dont do much on the weekends so i dont think its going to take longer than two days. he said its probably the shoe or whatever the chain rides on. his was completely broken and made no noise and all it would do was just mis-fire and ideal, so im gana take his advice for no atleast and hope its not to much of a pain in the ***

Quick Reply: New Audi owner with some engine trouble.... yay