Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Brakes but it shakes!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:19 AM
1st Gear
Question New Brakes but it shakes!!

Both my front and rear brake rotors and pads are less then 9 months old but car still shakes a little when i brake. Does anyone know why this could be happening? I took it to Audi and they blamed on rear brakes but when i told them that they replaced those brake pads and rotors 6 months ago, they replaced it again few days ago under parts warranty.

Feel like they have no idea why its shaking when you brake....its usually when you tap on brakes....it has a bit shake but no other noise.

Thanks for the reply

Old 04-04-2009, 11:38 AM
3rd Gear

How many miles are on your car? It is very likely worn suspension components.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

I have only 32k miles on the car. They looked at suspension and did alignment on the car.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:00 PM
2nd Gear

If I recall you bought the car about a year ago as a CPO. I would just leave it with the dealer until they fix it to your satisfaction. Perhaps they will give you a new 3.0 supercharger as a loaner.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:24 PM
4th Gear

Most likely the front rotors are slightly warped... Take it back and have the turned. Even new ones need a 'clean up' cut.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

They just checked all brakes and I would love to leave it with them but this wont be the first time....they really have no clue...amazing...I will talk to a manager and see if that helps.

Do you think hitting the curb would have done this? My wife scratched the wheel a bit but nothing major.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:37 PM
2nd Gear

If I recall when you first saw the car there was a delay in being able to road test it because of a problem with the brakes and that the dealer was waiting weeks for some part to arrive. Did you ever find out what the dealer did with the brakes? Perhaps the previous problem has returned?

I also noticed that you posted the following about a year ago regarding the brakes:

ok...this is my 3rd trip and 2nd dayfor the same one issue that Audi service shop foreman or other techs are unable to figure out. I get a knocking noise when I slightly tap on my brakes

How was that problem resolved?

Any recent changes in the suspension?

Last edited by Kevin; 04-07-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:36 PM
1st Gear

It stopped shaking after i replaced brakes but it recently came back...dealer checked brakes, suspension and everything else and confirmed it's all ok. It's suppose to be best dealer on east coast...they have good reputation and have aston martin, porsche dealership...i am trusting their word. At the same time, they cant even figure out the problem with shaking...its not that bad but gets annoying at times.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:54 PM
2nd Gear

I used to do alot of highway driving 75-80mph and when you come to a fast stop i.e. traffic jam the rotors take alot of heat and begin to warp. Also if there is something wrong with your rear brakes the front rotors will warp alot faster. Make sure you have the lines bled if they are installing brakes again. If your rotors are warped as soon as you tap your brakes the pedal moves up and down quickly then as you slow down the vibration should slow as well if that is what is happening I would point at the rotors.
After cutting try sanding them down smooth so they are not so aggressive it will help reduce the friction. I used to sand my suburban front rotors with an orbital sander or they would only last 3 months because chevy rear drum brakes never self adjust as they are supposed to.

By the way if you are driving fast and braking hard try stabbing the brakes push hard, let off, push hard, you get the picture.

Last edited by Jackmup; 04-06-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:30 AM
2nd Gear

auida6s,

In a post from a few weeks ago you wrote:

I hit my tire against a pillar while reversing my car. My sterring is now crooked but it drives fine...do you think i bent my suspension

Is it possible that the damage or the subsequent repair is related to the vibration you are now experiencing? Maybe the repair was done incorrectly or the car requires the replacement of other parts.

The Audi check list for vibrating brakes, per the TSB, has the mechanic look for:

1. Brake disc thickness variation (warping)

2. Thermal distortion of brake discs

3. Worn brake pads and discs

4. Faulty suspension components (ball joints, tie rods, bushing, etc.).

5. Imbalance of wheels and tires

Last edited by Kevin; 04-07-2009 at 07:39 AM.

Quick Reply: New Brakes but it shakes!!