Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Exhaust cont....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 10:13 PM
2nd Gear
Default New Exhaust cont....

I thought I would start a new thread on this becasue it is something everybody should know if they are planning on upgrading exhaust on a pre-facelift A6 (98-2001). BTW-Thanks to camoa6 for the advice and the link to LLTek's site http://www.lltek.com/PRS_bin/PRS_101...aclft_tips.htm So, as most of you know, I got rear-ended and thought this would be an excellent opportunity to upgrade to the 2002 bumper skin for the visible dual exhaust. I found out that I also had to upgrade the heat shield that sits a top both mufflers and folds down the inside of the bumper for 2 reasons. First, the downturn exhaust has a different heat shield to protect the bumperskin/molding/parktronic pieces from getting to hot and causing damage ($$$$). Second, the heatshield is also a mounting point for the bumper skin. So, the shop ordered the 2002 bumper for me and noticed right away during pre-fit that the mounting holes did not line up, and that the heatshield for the downturn exhaust would not work. If you were to use LLTek's kit to cut the holes yourself you would have to cut the heatshield the exact diameter of the exhaust holes in the bumper skin. Now, this would leave a gap between the heatshield and the bumper skin because of the way the heatshield turns downward for the factory set-up. Water, dirt, snow, sludge (you name it) would be thrown up from the rear tires in this hole collecting inside your bumper skin. Obviously, this would not be good. So, I had to purchase the piece for $139 from Audi. This piece is necessary because the new bumper skin lines up for mounting perfectly. With this proper installation set-up, heat will be dispursed correctly with no potential damage to the rear of the car. LLTek obviously did not do their homework and their Kit seems really cheesy. The molding to put around your holes once you cut them is cheap. I cant believe that the molding wouldn't fall off with time due to just a pressure fit. I don't buy it. In fact, in my opinion, a lot of LLTek's gear for the AUDI line seems to be really cheap and their applications are not well though out. Guys, if your going to do the MOD, buy the bumper skin and the heatshield, and you can drive away from your shop confident that it was installed correctly. If ya go cheap, well, you get what you pay for. I will post pics of the car soon. Looks really funny without the tips...If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:15 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: New Exhaust cont....

Oops..accidentally added the above comments to the old thread..my bad..sorry for the repeat..

Old 09-15-2006, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

I want to do the same thing. But I am looking at the Borla tips. What else do I have to do or bring to the performance shop?

Old 09-15-2006, 02:03 PM
2nd Gear

Which Borla tips? I would like to see them because I still haven't decided between magnaflow, borla, and the factory tips. Are you going to replace the bumper skin and heatshield or just cut the lower piece? Do you have parktronic? I was looking at the old heatshield (2001) and was trying to figure out how to modify it so it would work with the 2001 bumper and cut outs. I would ask your shop to consider the heat issue, and also when the cut the existing heatshield, ask them about the gap that is left and how they can keep water and dirt from getting thrown up in there. Maybe they have some creative ideas. Please post results of the install in this thread.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:10 PM
1st Gear

I am deciding between these two. As for the install I was going to ask them their opinion on if we should just do the cut out or do a whole work up that you talked about. Hey, could you post a list of questions/points I should ask them when I go?

http://www.borla.com/products/product_multi_detail.aspx?cat=3&type=65&desc=Polis hed+Tips|Single+Oval+Rolled+Angle-Cut+w%2fClamp
http://www.borla.com/products/product_multi_detail.aspx?cat=3&type=66&desc=Polis hed+Tips|Single+Round+Rolled+Angle-Cut+w%2fClamp

Old 09-15-2006, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

I think I am going to go oval.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:50 PM
1st Gear

I thought about the same process but decided against it. I went ahead and bought a Milltek exhaust that has slightly angled tips that bring them down just below the bottom of the valence. I think it worked out perfectly and the rear of my car looks sharp as hell! I do not have pictures yet but I will take some and post them for you too see!

OOOO

[IMG]local://upfiles/13659/78176F753632498CB5B6363F11630D05.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-15-2006, 09:09 PM
1st Gear

If I put on the Borla tips could I still do an exhaust later and use the same tips? More of a welding question

Old 09-21-2006, 05:15 PM
2nd Gear

I need to know where I can get an '02 bumper cover for my '01 A6 lltek has the RS style for $777 but I want the '02 for my new exhaust project. my mechanic said this should work. both he and I are looking for rear bumper covers. but any help would be great.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:54 AM
2nd Gear

I would check dad's parts at http://www.dadsauto.com. They have all kinds of OEM parts. Your going to paint it anyway so who cares if its not perfect. Remember, the heat shield. That will cost you $139 from the dealership. Borla and Magnaflow make the best mufflers/tips for the car. I talked to FHR racing in Seattle and they do nothing but exhaust and custom airboxes for porsche/audi. There is a major restriction on the exhaust on the 4.2's. Where the pipes bend down across the rear drive train is a pretty big bend/crimp. He said they could cut that out and make it flow better and coupled with some magnaflow or borla mufflers would add 7-10 HP. The sound would be beefier. A full cat back is $1500 + install. This mufflers and fab work will be around $400. Pretty good seeing that the catback for $1500 only gets you another 5HP.

Quick Reply: New Exhaust cont....