Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy to audi (help)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:51 AM
1st Gear
Default New guy to audi (help)

ok i recently bought a 1998 audi a6 quattro 2.8 of craigslist for 3200.
i am really new to cars and audis. i know i need a tune up because the person i bought it from was just sitting there. the car drives like brand new but the thing is i took my car to a shop and they want 600 for a complete tune up and i dont have that kind of money for someone to do it. i have enough for the parts.
i feel really lost and dont know what to do. also i dont know if the seller used synthetic oil or regualr oil. he sais since the car is old it wouldnt
matter. will it???
another question i have is what will i need for my tune up? can a regular mechanic do thos for me? or is audi so diffrwnt a mechanic wont know what he is doing??
PLEASE HELP ME OUT GUYS!!!

Old 07-09-2012, 12:05 PM
1st Gear

i think this is what you need, should be really easy to do.

Audi C5 A6 Quattro V6 2.8L > Engine > Ignition > ES#2538561 Ignition Service Kit - Stage 2 - 09485KT1

This looks expensive but think about it this way you just need to do this like 1 time every 90k mi or something like that. Might not even need the coil, maybe just the plugs and wires. Look around that sight, it has helped this noob as well.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:02 PM
1st Gear

thanks aloy dude. but one more question. will this cover a whole tune up? what about filters like that?
and oil? i bought my car off craigslist. so im pretty sure everything on the engine needs to be done.
im going to lincoln tech in a couple weeks as a student should i wait till the. or do it myself??

Old 07-10-2012, 10:53 AM
1st Gear

They have a lot of stuff on that sight filters/fluids. I would say if its running ok just wait. Or do the oil and wait for trans and radiator tell you do a timing belt. It sounds like you are going to learn a bunch over the next few months/years. I bet in a month you will laugh at yourself today.