Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy question, 1995 A6 running issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:59 PM
1st Gear
Default New guy question, 1995 A6 running issue

Hey all, this is my first Audi and I have a 1995 A6 with the V-6 mill. It has a miss in one cylinder. I drove it on the highway to my office and after I got on the highway, the oil pressure light came on. I pulled over, and the light went off. So, the higher the rpm the light goes on, at ile and about 1500 rpm it goes off. The exact opposite of normal, it it is probably an electrical issue. Finally, it went off altogether. So far so good.

Part 2 is the weird one. It drove fine to the house, I stopped it and then when I went to start it back up a few minuets later it ran like crap and then would just die. I heard the cat rattling around and I'm thinking it might be blocking the exhaust. It was exhibiting the classic symptoms, a delayed acceleration and sluggish response.

Who could direct me to the procedure or tool needed to read codes?

Well, any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Last edited by renaissance_warrior; 08-28-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:34 PM
2nd Gear

Stop at an auto store and have it scanned for free. Let us know what codes it has. Did the Check engine light come on also?

Make sure the oil level is not overfilled. That can cause a misfire.
I'm sure you've checked to see it is not underfilled. Hope it's not the oil pump.

If your cat is making noise rattling it could be shot and that would cause to much back pressure and misfires, no power etc. But it will also store a ton of DTC codes and set a CEL.

Turn you ignition to on without starting and make sure you CEL illuminates can't miss the big yellow engine. If it doesn't light up the last owner may have disconnected it rather than fix the car.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:30 PM
1st Gear

Yes it indeed did. It obviously threw some codes out. I am happy it an OBDII at least! The engine light came on after driving about 5 minutes. I took off the cover, and the vacuum to the egr valve was off, but that made no difference. It sure is a beautiful car and clean as a whistle under the hood!

Keep in mind, I was sayin that the oil pressure liht would come on on the road, and go off at at 1500 rpm or less. Smooth idle and no temp fluctuations typical of oil starvation. Sounds electrical to me, but I will do a mechanical test.

I could see a misfire clogging a cat, and if loose as well, a broken piece making it run like crap or not start if it is blocking anything enough. a vacuum gauge can tell you that too. If you rev it up and the vacuum drops slowly you have a plugged cat.

Do these engines blow head gaskets a lot? Mine is the V-6 2.8 methinks. What is the general rep and known issues? Thanks for the prior info!

Last edited by renaissance_warrior; 08-28-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

Bump for more ideas?

Old 08-30-2009, 01:24 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by renaissance_warrior
bump for more ideas? :d
codes?

Old 08-30-2009, 10:07 AM
3rd Gear

Free shipping:

Old 08-30-2009, 01:21 PM
1st Gear

Sorry, I need to do it tomorrow. I will let you know and thanks in advance!

Old 09-01-2009, 09:47 AM
3rd Gear

Plan on investing in VagCom to get the real codes... Generic code readers only give you part of the info.. Do a search on this forum for VagCom info

Old 09-02-2009, 08:09 AM
1st Gear

you can follow the manual. this is the best way to do or take it to the perfect mechanics

Old 09-03-2009, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

I found a local guy with a Vag and I'll just borrow it and pull the codes. I was a MB tech for a long time, and hopefully that will point me in the right direction. I think the first thing I should to is to clear all the codes, try starting it and then see which ones are active. No sense doing a wild goose chase IMHO, unless you have better ideas? All are welcome.

Quick Reply: New guy question, 1995 A6 running issue