Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New-to-me A6 2.7T and puddle of AntiFreeze

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:44 PM
1st Gear
Default New-to-me A6 2.7T and puddle of AntiFreeze

I just bought a new-to-me A6 2.7t . I drove it home at Interstate speeds 400+ miles yesterday - all was fine and coolant temp was on left (C) side all the way home. Looking back, I do remember the smell of antifreeze ( and it was yellow 'ouch' af) . This AM I drove it maybe 10 miles. This afternoon I drove it 1/2 mile to a parking lot to take pictures - I do recall that I was surprised that the coolant gage was straight down - in the middle between C and H. After the pics. when I started it up, the word 'service' flashed across led display. I drove home the 1/2 mile. A couple hours later, I noticed a puddle - maybe only four ounces of coolant on ground - left side if looking at the front. I started it up and got the big red moving coolant temp high priority 1 warning. Additionally, my overflow tank is empty ( and looking back) the pics showed it half full.

Please give me some ideas what my tomorrow should look like. Thanks.
...Mike

Old 03-06-2010, 10:16 PM
2nd Gear

when I bought my a6 I had it shipped back to Denver. Well, on the way over it hit some bad weather in the midwest which FROZE the coolant. It expanded breaking the aux water pump, a water pump seal, cracked a few hoses, and somehow cracked the bell housing. So I know how you feel.

I would leave some newpaper or something of the sort under the car that way you can find exactly where its dripping from. Get under the thing with a flashlight and start looking for wet spots. These cars have a seriously complex cooling system compared to most cars and lots of things can go wrong. Just be patient, dont freak, and fix the leak.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:25 AM
2nd Gear

If from the left front, either a lower radiator hose (doubtful as that would have gone on the ride homw) or a secondary coolant pump (lot's of fun to change)! However, your coolant temp should have been dead in the middle on your ride home and, since it wasn't, that means you either need a new thermostat (lots and lots of fun to change) or a new temperature sending unit.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 03-07-2010, 08:47 AM

mine was leaking from the same general area and it turned out to be a bad radiator, the end tanks were terrible and leaking badly.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

After taking the belly pan off, I found hat the leak was not on the passenger side. Its coming from the driver's side. I posted a youtube video - not that that helps, but comments are welcome. While the af is pooling and dripping from the bottom (duh) , it actually is running down the seam ( from the left) between transmission and engine ...Mike
( you tube link will follow)

Old 03-07-2010, 01:03 PM
3rd Gear

What does the seller have to say about this? Not accusing them of anything, just curious. What type/brand of coolant had they used, I don't recognize yellow as an option. When you test drove the car, was the temp gauge in the middle or all the way over to C?

Old 03-07-2010, 04:44 PM
2nd Gear

I had a leak there. It was the aux pump. Check into that

Old 03-07-2010, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

( this is the second A6 i've bought using the e-big auction site) - sight unseen and as-is ( I know, I know ) The first one was great - this obviously developed (or had :-{ ) an issue (although the Philly seller's feedback was near 2000 ) . Anyway, I have yet to talk to them - and I think the gage was not all the way to C and it was the florescent yellow stuff.

Anyway, this one is by me - I know my (current) limits, and I'm about there. I'm having it flatbedded to a good independent tomorrow/Tuesday. I will let the group know what happens. Thank you all.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:49 PM
3rd Gear

If I read correctly that you are seeing a leak on the rear of the engine onto the transmission (bell housing), it sounds like the general area of the secondary cooling pump. I steadily lost fluid from mine although I never found puddles. It tended to evaporate on the bell housing leaving residue. My mechanic found it when he replaced my clutch and did the pump at the same time. It is not easy to get at. Two years ago the pump was $115 plus 3 hours labor.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 PM
2nd Gear

+1 ^^^ Check a DIY on the aux pump and that should help to give oyu an idea of what to look for

Quick Reply: New-to-me A6 2.7T and puddle of AntiFreeze