Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member, A6 valve question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 03:37 PM
1st Gear
Default New Member, A6 valve question.

Hi, I'm in the process of making a deal on a 2000 A6 4.2. I noticed when the engine is hot the valves are a tad noisey. When engine revs there is a definate valve chatter. Seems to run good other then that. Fuel gauge is also not reading properly. The car has about 85000 miles. Are valves an issue on these cars? Is there any common problem areas? I'm not sure if I sould walk away from the deal or not? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thx

Old 09-20-2006, 11:55 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: New Member, A6 valve question.

The mechanic @ the dealer listened to it and he said it sounded like the timing chain slacking off during deceleration and contacting the valve cover. Due too the hydraulic chain tensioner losing some pressure. Have any of you experienced similar problems? Is the tensioner unit easily accessable? Still not sure if they are trying to soak me. I love the car.....But I'm not sure about this noise.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:12 AM
1st Gear

I would be wary of the car. Any oil pressure issues are signs of wear somewhere, possibly everywhere depending on the car e the car has gotten, oil change intervals, etc. I'd keep my wallet in my pocket and look for a car that has no questions hanging over it. You'll may be much happier later. If the dealer is Audi they ought to certify the car. any doubts? Walk away.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:10 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds like a tensioner, waterpump, timing chain, seals and anything else that needs replacing while you have it apart. The service isn't due until 90,000 and it costs. Tell the dealer you need to take it an AUDI mechanic beforehand. The $200 you'll spend for a guy to go over the car with a fine tooth comb will save you thousands later. If the dealer won't let you, walk away--s***, run away. I have said this before to others. Don't buy a high mileage AUDI unless it it certified or you take the time and dough to have it checked out. At 85k and noise like that, it sounds like the car was abused. BTW--if that timing chain breaks..start lookin for a motor. If ya really like the car then have your mechanic write up an estimate and use it as a bargaining chip when you sit in front of the finance guy. Then have the work done and you come out ahead..Good Luck!!

Old 09-22-2006, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the replys, I talked to the Shop Forman @ Audi. He figured that ir was a cam chain tensioner for sure. To do both is $2000 for parts and 10 hours labour. I will definetly use this as a bargaining chip. If it doesnt work I will walk away. I will have the Audi Dealer go through the car for an inspection also. If the chain has been slapping around for awhile there could be more wear. Thanks again!