Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New old A6

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:50 PM
1st Gear
Default New old A6

Hey guys I'm looking to buy my first audi and I had my eye on a used A6 but have a few questions about the different model years.

First: What was the first year to have twin pipes out both sides of the car?

Second: What is the advantage to the sports package and is it worth is if i'm going to mod the car?

Third: Do any of the A6 years come with a rear spoiler?

I was looking at more modern than 2000. Any help would be awesome.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:33 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: New old A6

Oh yeah forgot one. What is an A6 S-Line?

Old 04-08-2008, 08:50 PM
3rd Gear

1 - If you're going to "mod" the car, you probably need to stick with the 2.7T engine. I believe all these had dual exhausts, but up until 2002 they terminated behind the rear valence. In 2003 and on, they poked through the rear valence. (PS - Nothing wrong with the performance of the 4.2l - it has a wider more agressive stance than the other A6s and the V8 delivers 300+ hp stock. There are not as many performance options for it, but they aren't really necessary.)

2 - If you are thinking about a heavy-duty sway bar and different shocks and coilovers, the sports suspension doesn't buy much. I believe the sports suspension provides a slightly thicker sway bar and stiffer suspension than stock. It may also be slightly lower.

The S-line is a trim package and the engine produces 265 hp vs the stock 2.7T's 250 hp. If you do a search on this forum you'll find a lot of debate about the value of the S-line package, and maybe even some facts about the extras that come with that trim package. I think I read somewhere that it is only available with an automatic, but I could be wrong.

I've also read that if you're thinking about mods, you're better off with a 2002 or newer as they increased the oil delivery to the turbos. Again, if I have the year wrong, someone will correct me.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:01 AM
1st Gear

All I can say is read, read, and read some more. This site is full of useful information about modding the 2.7T.