Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie to Audi

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:15 PM
1st Gear
Default newbie to Audi

A family member of mine offered his Audi A6 for me to buy very cheap it's his current son's car but I would be looking to buy it in about 2 months.. it's a 2000 silver A6 sedan I only looked over it really quick before we had to run to the office but I think it's the 2.8 model.. anyways it has about 170K on it and it's an auto a few things consern me which is the milage and the auto tranny..

Also the son had a little crash and the front bumper is pushed up a little and the passgener side mirror is gone but the fixture is still on the car, both he said he will fix before he sells me the car (I don't doubt him) I got to ride in his A8L which was pretty nice.

I really only know about Subaru's since thats what I have.. I did all my own car work and stuff.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:51 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: newbie to Audi

To keep it short My opinion isthat you will need to get a REALLY good deal on it to make it worth while. Not that the car wont last much longer - I am sure itis possible - It just depends on what has been replaced and repaired and how its been maintained. what you need to be prepared for is very high cost of repairs if you have to take it to a shop. I have found parts to be fairly reasonable and the car has not been hard to work on as long as you have the correct tools. I drove a loaner A6 2.8 that had 173K on it and it drove fairly nicely so I am sure they can make it that Far and still be a good drive. I only have 85K on mine so I don't know what the Major issues are at that Mileage. others on hear I have seen with that many miles - you might do a search for high mileage vehicles.

Good luck

Old 03-18-2008, 03:24 AM
1st Gear

ok I will do a search on that, it seems I see a lot of talk about the MMI is that the display on the dash? I've seen and heard how high the repair bills can be I work on my own car so not sure how much more involved the audi will be over the subaru.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:24 AM
1st Gear

213k mi, i'm changing our my passenger cat. other than that, nada. smooth.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:37 AM
1st Gear

I agree with ddunham...it has to be a really good deal to buy...almost FREE

Old 03-18-2008, 09:54 AM
1st Gear

the rest of the body is clean minus the right passenger mirror and bumper.

it's an auto which kinda disapoints me.. but if I get a killer deal then thats good because I tried looking up to see what price range it would go for and I never saw any listed with this one and the same amount of milage.. my consern is how long will the auto last? I told him 2nd week of May I'd be looking to buy providing the dmanges are fixed but it seems the mirror is only around $83-150? maybe it was not an OEM mirror... Anyways the car is silver

If it's anything like Subaru don't the tires have to be pretty much same size and near the same wear patterns on all 4 tires?

Old 03-18-2008, 11:18 AM
3rd Gear

170K means it could run forever or break at the end of the drivrway depending upon how much care it had in the past and the attitued of the Audi gods.

Big items are the typical list of things you'll see all over Audi Forums. The biggest is the timing belt - if it hasen't been changed within the last 80K or so it will break! It might go another 50-100K but probably not. The cost to change the belt could easliy approach what the car is worth.

Bottom line - he is selling it cheep because that is all he get for an Audi with high milage and the bumper and mirror doesn't help. Don't go by the blue book or other used vehicle appraisals because the variables are too many.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

ok well I will make sure that is asked before I decide..

Old 03-18-2008, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

told you I'm a noob.. car is a 2000 A4 2.8 the car has 134k the MMI is missing lines and the check engine light was on... other then that the car seemed ok.. the mirror needs to be fixed (he called in today about that) and the exhaust has some kind of leak which he says he will replace.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:05 PM
3rd Gear

Let's see -- We have a 2000 A4 with 134 K - the front bumper is bent - the mirror is broken - the check engine light is on - the exhaust leaks - the MMI is messed up - and we don't know about the timing belt etc.

Without the CEL and timing belt I would guess it would cost about $3,000. Throw in $1500 for a timing belt and your at $4500.

The CEL could add another $1000 or lots more.

As a minumum you need to fix the exhaust, mirror , and CEL -- with the biggest unknown being the CEL.

Even if he gives you the car it is questionable -- Run a scan to see why the CEL is on.

Quick Reply: newbie to Audi