Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie! tips please!! 96 a6

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:26 PM
1st Gear
Default newbie! tips please!! 96 a6

hi, I'm new to Audis and well, German cars all together! any tips on my car would be awesome! performance, maintenance, etc... also, I have a couple of problems as well...

keep in mind I have a 96 A6 avant quattro.
1: my rear wiper works, just when it wipes, the blade doesnt touch the window in the middle (just the very left and very right)
2: there's a slight rattle under the car towards the tranny but previous owner said tranny is fine and it feels damn fine
3: sort of an "electrical" clicking noise (as well as a little tiny clicking feel) coming through the shifter when idling, not all the time, just randomly.
4: very slight gas smell coming out of the exhaust, and a tiiiiiiiiiny bit of smoke but only when idling and it's cold.
5: what type of air filter, fuel filter, oil, plugs, wires, etc do you guys recommend i use to keep my car at maximum performance.

thanks guys!!! you can also email me anything (parts links, blah blah)
murdermakescents@gmail.com

I appreciate any tips, help, suggestions you guys can give!
And by the by, I love my Audi and as soon as my wife finishes school and gets put into a job, (sous chef) I will be getting a newer Audi to play with!

Old 02-21-2008, 11:35 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: newbie! tips please!! 96 a6

Hey there issues 2 and 5 could possibly be related:
Issue 2 could be your Catalytic Converter going bad, which in turn could be causing the fuel smell from the exhaust. Unfortunately there is also a chance that issues 2 and 5 could nowhere be related, #2 could be a heat shield. You could take it to a Meineke and have them check it for free to determine whether its your CC.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:49 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: newbie! tips please!! 96 a6

#1 is simply your wiper arm. The spring is no longer holding the blade against the glass. A new arm will take care of it.

Good luck on the rest!

Bob