Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no power, need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 03:01 PM
1st Gear
Default no power, need help ASAP

Hello,everyone. There is something weird going on with 1995 Audi A6. I start the car, when I press on the gas pedal, it gets to about 3 rpm's and than the car shutsoff. Me and my dad cheked the fuel filter that works and the fuel pump is good. Also we cheked the spark plugs, they work fine. So what could be causing this problem. Its 1995 Audi A6 FWD, I dont even know if it has the VAG-Computer port. Need help ASAP

Old 07-16-2007, 03:15 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: no power, need help ASAP

So after 3000k rpm the car dies? How do you know the fuel filter is good? Were you able to check the flow rate? Why is the fuel pump good, just because its running does not mean its working correctly. Do you have the ability to pressure test the fuel system? Was it running just fine yesterday?

Welcome to the world of old german cars, let the fun begin. I don't believe a 95 would have the standard vag-com port.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:36 PM
1st Gear

well it looks like the fuel pump is in good shape, and the fuel filter looks to be fine, we usually deal with bimmers and benz's and only newer audis, so how would i get the fuel pressure???

Old 07-16-2007, 03:38 PM
1st Gear

the car started doing that when i was going up a hill on saturday

Old 07-16-2007, 03:55 PM
1st Gear

also i disconected the fuel line from the tank and wen u turn on the ignition, there is gas running at pretty good flow from the gas tank

Old 07-16-2007, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

also there is this hissing sound wen the car is running, is that normal???

Old 07-16-2007, 04:46 PM
2nd Gear

If there is a hissing,that could bea vacuum leak check your hoses.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:52 PM
1st Gear

i m new to audi's i m only 16, so which hoses should i check, the ones around the engine or under the car???

Old 07-16-2007, 04:59 PM
1st Gear

on rear part of the mufler there is a little hole, and the hissing is comming from the left rear side, thats where the mufler is, so could that be causing the problem?

P.S. the gas tank is above the muffler, it might be the fuel pump, probably has a vacum, so it might be a leak in the fuel line, but there is no gasoline dripping from bottom of the car, so anyone else got any ideas? also would my engine computer be doing that???

Old 07-16-2007, 06:38 PM
3rd Gear

Just buy a new fuel filter, there cheap and people never change them anyways so your due for one.. I know on my car it is solid metal so I don't know how you could tell if it was good or bad by looking at it. Also, just because the fuel pump is pumping does not mean it is pumping enough. Check for vacuum leaks under the hood, I don't know this car at all, but assuming your 2.8 is the same as a 00 2.8, looked for cracked or broken hoses. But my assumption is your fuel filter plugged, because you generally don't suddenly loose power over 3k.

Quick Reply: no power, need help ASAP