Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No start please help!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 10:29 PM
1st Gear
Default No start please help!!!!!!!!!!

I just bought an 1995 A6 Quattro with a 124,000. Great car I've had it for 3 days. I put brakes on it yesterday then drove it all around. I went out today to move it & now it won't start . I'm getting plenty of gas but looks like no spark. I pulled the wires & as I guessed no spark. Any ideals? PLease help. Thanks Rob

Old 06-01-2008, 10:34 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: No start please help!!!!!!!!!!

Hi. Does your car have coil packs? If so and one or more goes bad this could be your problem.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:51 PM
1st Gear

Yeah it does. It has three one per pair of plugs. But none of the three coil packs have spark. All three wouldn't go out at the same time? would they? Would it be the cam sensor?

Old 06-01-2008, 11:05 PM
1st Gear

Its possible that you might have a bad cam position sensor. Did you have any CEL before this problem?

Old 06-01-2008, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

CEL? It idled a little rough but excelled fine. Then it just wouldn't start.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:14 PM
1st Gear

"CEL" Check Engine Light?

Old 06-02-2008, 12:26 AM

A 1995 A6 Quattro with 124,000 miles could have a wiring problem, such as a short circuit which could blow the ignition coil fuse, which is located in the electronic control box. This fuse is not listed in the owners manual. The wiring diagram is on the BentleyPublishers.com Audi shop manual CD. The diagramsare hard to read, becausea circuit may continue on another diagram at the wiring diagram location number shown inside a rectangle.
You should check that the plenum drain is not blocked by leaves, which causes water to back up in to the fresh air vent and then in to the electronic control box under the rug on the passenger side. To do this, you need to remove the plenum cover in front of the windshield and clean out the debris. Next, check for water damage at the location of the electronic control box at the passenger's feet. If water gets in to the electronic control box it may damage the ecm, etc.
The door sill trim and the footwell trim are fastened with hidden screws. The electronic control box cover has two screws, one which is under the carpet even after the carpet is pulled back.
Of course, you need to check for voltage at the coils before you waste a lot of time, but to do this you need the ignition wiring diagram which is on the Bentley CD.
You are lucky that this didn't happen far from home, on your vacation.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

The fuse is good. Looks like no water damage. Would a cam sensor cause a no start?

Old 06-03-2008, 01:35 PM

The cam sensor or its wiring could. The car won't start with the cam sensor disconnected. However, there are other things which could also cause a no start. Do you have an OBDII scanner or VAG-COM? There may be error codes which would point to the problem. On such an old, high mileage car it is possible to have bad wiring and/or sensors.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:02 PM
1st Gear

I have an ORBII scanner but where is the connector?

Quick Reply: No start please help!!!!!!!!!!