Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy Ride, I am perplexed, Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:42 AM
2nd Gear

My car came with some POS tiger paw tires that were squishy, Nice ride though,but I put michelin energy on and I have a stiffer ride with them but more control and they are quiet. FYI I am pretty sure Bridgestone will let you ride on their tires for a month and if you don't like them bring them back. I don't know how their performance tires are but I did like their light truck tires. Someone also said Yokohoma was good in another thread, I think that's what Toyota uses.

Holy **** I just read your transmission thread. That is the only thing that scares me on this car because I have never rebuilt one before. If it happens I'll sure as hell try though.

Last edited by Jackmup; 05-12-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Site_Administrator

Thank you all so much for your input. I just have a couple questions. Is it normal to feel the road in these cars? I mean when I move over the center line reflectors to pass a car....those little plastic road reflectors feel harsh....like if I'm runing over a 3 inch thick flat square metal bracket laying on the road or something. When I drive over those rumble strips to slow down at a toll booth, Jesus... it feels like you are running over a bunch of 2X4's (wood). Very stiff ride. Is this normal? If it is....do they sell softer springs for Audis? Also please tell me or suggest quiet tires. I like the low profile look, just wish the car would sound quiet inside so I can talk low and hear the clear sounds and details of my radio while coasting down a highway at 60 mph.
IF you car is lowered, then that would explain the stiffness and harshness to your ride. My A6 with stock springs and stock dampeners rides like a dream....almost as if I'm sitting on my couch at home.

Either you need to get softer dampeners or raise your ride height to original configuration or make sure you or previous owner didn't lower the car and mixmatch springs with dampeners...i.e. stock springs with sport shocks.

As for tires, Yoko's are super quiet.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:37 PM
3rd Gear

I put a set of Yoko Avid TRZs on my wife's van and there were great. Also put them on my Audi 200QT a few years ago with the same results, but I don't know how quiet they will be on an Audi A6.

As for the ride -- As I said earlier - Audi's are not Luxo - Boats that float down the road. Audi's are a driver's car that gives feed back so the guy handling the wheel knows what is happening. Feed back is given thru noise and feeling what the wheels are doing.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:42 PM
3rd Gear

Just thought of something you might try. You said that you have 255-40-17 tires. The puny side walls don't help your ride. They are good for feed back and turning response but have little flex over bumps etc. You might try a smaller rim with a larger sidewall that gives you the same OD. I see that the 235-50-16 is listed for you vehicle as an alternate size. I would play around a bit more and see what alternatives you have to get a larger sidewall. You might even check out 15's

Old 05-12-2009, 06:51 PM

Well, I wen't to the dealer today and took a 2009 A8 4.2l for a test drive. It feels tight and when I ran over the reflectors they feel hard. So this settles it. Audis tires are wide and hug the road's countours. I bet if I ran over a quarter I would feel it!. When I ran over the center line reflectors, the sales guy almost had a heart attack.I caught him off guard with that manuver. He think's I have a ton of money and asking me all kinds of questions about what I did for a living(while I was driving the new Audi). I was ignoring him and finding small things to run over. It feels like my kid's gocart with no suspension. My A6 that is. I put new shocks on all four. The car sits high and looks stock. I see original parts. So I guess your right. This is not a lincoln continental or Caddilac. It's a sport's car wanting to be a luxury car.

The new Audi was smooth and quiet, but when you ran tiny things over, you felt them!

Hey, I was wondering if it was possible to change the front bumper or entire face lift on our Older A6's to make them look more modern. I like the way the front grille looks on the new Audis, and the headlights look mean. Any websites that have these eye candies?

Old 05-12-2009, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear

Your married to the front bumper but check out these lights the guy made them himself. I know Radio Shack has LED's with the resistor built in I have some in red. I'll have to stop down and see if they have them in blue or white.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=121903

Old 04-05-2015, 12:46 PM
1st Gear

Hello Madridlover , I am a new owner of a 2007 Audi q7 3.6 Quattro and need to know what is a road forced balance?

Old 04-05-2015, 12:47 PM
1st Gear

My Audi sounds loud while driving also

Old 04-05-2015, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

Does anyone know what would be the best tires for a quite sound for and 2007 Audi q7 3.6 Quattro? Please help this noise is getting on my nerves!

Old 04-06-2015, 04:23 PM
3rd Gear

I don't know about sound, but oem tires are usually Pirelli or Continental. A 17" or 18" tire has less sidewall and is also stiffer. I was more interested in winter grip and reasonable mileage than quiet. I can hear road noise with all three Audis, but it is not unbearable. Yes, they do pull in the truck grooves in the highway, but no where as badly as my Chrysler Crossfires which are a lot lighter and have much wider tires, esp in the rear (285s).

Quick Reply: Noisy Ride, I am perplexed, Please Help!