Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noobie with a 2001 A6 2.7t.....HELP

Old 03-13-2013, 03:55 AM
1st Gear
Default Noobie with a 2001 A6 2.7t.....HELP

Hey guys new to the forum and audis. So heres the situation about three months ago I bought the car for my girlfriend seemed to run and drive good then bout month later noticed oil spots on the drive way and every once in awhile burning oil smell. So I googled that and found its the valve cover gaskets. So I wanted to see why the gaskets failed I read that maybe cause PCV hoses clogged?? Well then About a week ago my girlfriend was driving home from work and said the car started beeping and oil light came on, So I checked oil level was good. Well the next day we were driving it and it was continuously beeping and light was on, so Im thinking oil pressure so got the car home and got it put into I believe the only shop in our town that will even touch an audi. So anyways I finally get a call from the shop and they tell me the car needs a new engine or current one rebuilt????? So I guess what i'm trying to ask is does this even sound legit? The car drove just fine it just leaked oil and started beeping the day before. Is there anything I can check on the car myself to maybe see if this shop actually telling me the truth or just trying to rob me for my money??
Any help,comments,suggestions is appreciated
Thanks David

Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 AM
1st Gear

take it to a second shop for a second opinion

doing a valve cover gasket job isn't that hard. Don't know on the turbo, but my 2001 a6 was.

Gaskets fail due to heat, time and age. here is a how to thread I did for my car

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/aud...-8l-v6-193073/

Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

Just because the oil level was good does not mean the oil pressure was good. Anytime the oil light comes on you should stop immediately and have the car towed. If it is simply the pressure sender you wasted the cost of the tow. If it is low oil pressure you can ruin the engine in a matter of seconds. A good shop wont just tell you that you need a new engine, they will also tell you why. I would recommend a second opinion.