Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd noise at 1500 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Default Odd noise at 1500 rpm

Well, just noticed this today when i got in the car after work. It was hot as hell out today (94) and I also learned that the center display in the cluster doesn't like the heat either b/c it was barely readable.

Anyway, onto the noise. As I left the parking lot, I could hear and could even slightly feel the noise (vibration) through the steering wheel. I instantly thought motor or trans/driveline and would be putting a For Sale sign on the car tomorrow. It's not steady though - only at 1500rpm and then goes away. If the car shifts or I let off the throttle and it hits 1500rpm again, I would once again hear the noise. I went to a vacant parking lot and opened windows, turned off a/c and put the car in neutral and revved to 1500 - nothing. So I then drove around at 1500rpm - nothing. Then I turned on the a/c - BINGO!! So, the strain of the a/c seems to cause this. Is it normal? I don't see how. It's like a droning sound, but brief.

Also, while you're reading. After a prolonged time sitting (overnight, 9hrs of work, etc), when the car is first started, it sounds like a diesel for 1-2 seconds - chattering-like. It doesn't do it after 15 mins or even an hour. I don't know what's in there for oil right now - waiting on my Amsoil order to come in so I can change it. The used car dealer serviced it though, so probably 10w30 or whatever generic crap they had lying around. Hopefully that'll solve this issue?!?

One last question (for this thread at least). Do A6's not have one-touch windows?!? Mine doesn't seem to. That's frickin weak!! If it's suppose to, then mine don't work, but they also don't feel like the VW's we've had. Those all had buttons that when you pushed, you would push just a lil harder and they'd kinda "click" and that was the one touch - my A6's don't "click". I also discovered the window lock button is messed up - doesn't stay clicked down. Geesh. This car is gonna nickel and dime me.....

Old 06-10-2009, 02:39 AM
4th Gear

oil: Ya, prolly could use 5w-40 but the main problem is not using an oil filter with a anti-drain valve. The Mann, Purolater, Mobil 1 filters have these, and they are made from silicone, not cheap rubber that goes bad in a month. Use one of these. There's also 'anti-drain back' valves in the engine that help keep oil in the lifters. These can get dirty and stay cracked open. I personally use Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck and a Purolator PureOne PL30001 filter to clean out the crude in mine. After about 300-400 miles, my 'clacking' went away at start up/warm up and the engine sounds smooth. Now at 2500 miles in, I'm fixing to change the oil again. Advance Auto has a deal for 5 quarts of any Mobil 1 w/ a Mobil 1 filter for $30. you might wanna do something like this, a 'cleaning' flush if you will, before putting in the Amsoil.

buttons: There is no 'click' as far as I know. Mine just head down/up. I have to hit it again if I want it to stop. Yours might not be enabled. Once you get your VAG-COM, you can enable this. Could just be a faulty switch too...

A/C: Not sure here. Could be the belts alittle loose. Maybe someone will chime in.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:27 AM

with the windows, I know my 01 a6 has the click. Try to push down hard on the button and let it go. I know that if u push it down, and hold it, it will stop moving when you release it. (push down just long enough for the button to go completely down and only that long).

Sorry, poor description, but give it a try. If thats waht you were doing, and i mis-read, my bad.

gl!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:06 AM
1st Gear
Default One touch windows

My 2000 has one touch windows. They do NOT work like the VW's.

You do not need to hold the button at all. Just push (or pull) and let go. If you push (or pull) and hold, it'll stop when you let go. They are a little tricky to get used to....