Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil changes and filter and all that

Old 02-14-2007, 11:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil changes and filter and all that

umm so my car is saying i need an oil change, how long can I drive with this on? Cause its bad to drive with bad oil

so i get 15 mpg in the city, which is bad right? Some people said that it could be because of the filter, well is that the filter that has something to do with the oil?

oh yea and apprx how much does it cost to get ur oil changed with that synthetic crap

Old 02-15-2007, 03:46 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Oil changes and filter and all that

I suggest you driver yourself to walmart, get some mobil 1, and then learn to change your own oil yourself. The oil will cost around 30bucks, 10 bucks for the NAPA gold filter. 3 bucks for a funnel and 8 bucks for a drain pan. This is probably the most basic thing you can do to your own car; it is a great way to get to know your car as well. I have not paid someone to change my oil for maybe 10 years so I really have no idea what it would cost to have someone else do it, I think I paid 14 dollars for a basic change back then.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:38 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Jeffla

I suggest you driver yourself to walmart, get some mobil 1, and then learn to change your own oil yourself. The oil will cost around 30bucks, 10 bucks for the NAPA gold filter. 3 bucks for a funnel and 8 bucks for a drain pan. This is probably the most basic thing you can do to your own car; it is a great way to get to know your car as well. I have not paid someone to change my oil for maybe 10 years so I really have no idea what it would cost to have someone else do it, I think I paid 14 dollars for a basic change back then.
well yea i could do that, but i want to take it to pros cause wat if something is wrong with my filter, then they will replace it cuz i dont know how to tell if its broken.

and btw i need good synthetic oil

and dont u need to tilt ur car with a jack to change the oil??

Old 02-15-2007, 03:07 PM
1st Gear

Well I am new to this forum but have changed a lot of oil over the years and the likelyhood of your filter being "broken" is quite close to,if not right at, zero. Performance, in terms of gas mileage andas it relates to your oil filter, is not something I have heard about in the past. You may want to look into that a little more closely.

I will defer to others on the specfic oil and filter for these cars as I do not know. In the past, I have used Mobil 1 and OEM filters on most of my cars. Typically level is what is advisable for most cars when doing an oil change, as the drain is usually at the lowest point of your drivetrain. Most shadetree mechanics have ramps thye jsut drive up, so that may be what you are thinking of when you state the the car should be tilted.

So the questions you need answered (and the manual may already tell you) is how many quarts you need, what filter (and where it is located), and where the drain and fill locations are. Right?

Old 02-15-2007, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

Well you are looking at a 100 bucks for an oil change with that " synthetic crap" and they replace your oil filter during the oil change. just bring it to your local indy guy, if you dont want to do it yourself.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:59 PM
3rd Gear

I understand your hesitation on changing your own oil. The first time I did it I was affraid I had messed it up for a while. But if you take your time the first couple of times it will all go just fine. Ask your brother or dad (mom) to help you the first time. Doing it yourself will save you a lot of money. It will cost more upfront to buy the tools needed, but in the end it will save you a lot of money in the end. No woman or girl in your situation wants a man or boy that doensn't know how to change his own oil.

Jeff

Old 02-16-2007, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

Help yourself to Wal-Mart buy gallon of Mobile one Syn. Audi recommends 5W40 good luck finding that I think only Volvoline makes 5W40 but 5W30 does the trick. I think at Wal-Mart gallon of 5quarts of synt oil is like $25, buy an extra quart just in case. Also buy a quart of the cheapest oil (any oil is good). I will tell you later what for.
If you have a oil wrench than good, if not buy one from Wal-Mart. Also buy latex gloves.
If you really want to save extra $10 then any bucket would do the job to collect your drained oil. But always buy oil pan with levels marked on it.
Before you start with draining your old oil, I would suggest you to drive your car around for a while so the oil heats up and after that park your car for a while (10 – 15 minutes) and than drain the oil. I have figured oil drains better if it’s warm which means most of the old oil will drain out. (Don’t worry oil is not that hot so you won’t burn yourself) Just stay away from the exhaust pipes.
You don't need to tilt your car in any direction, just make sure your car is parked at a level ground.
Jack it up from the front or just the driver’s side. Open the lower engine cover and located the drain plug. You don't need special tools here.
Before you open the drain plug be sure to open the engine oil cap completely. Now open your drain plug.
Do not open your oil filter yet.
Just wait for all the old oil to drain.
Now remember the cheapest 1 quart of Oil I mentioned above, Pour that from the oil fill plug, this will kinda wash out carbon deposits,sludge and all those bad stuff. Let it drain out.
Now once it has completely drained out open your oil filter and replace it with your new oil filter. You don't need anything special here just screw off you old filter and screw back on your new filter, I usually hand tight it to as much as I can. Bently says it should be tighten at about 5 - 10 Nlb = (3.75 - 7.5 ftlb). Now I haven't seen a wrench that would fit a filter that big and has calibration that low.
Now bolt on your drain plug (again do not over tight it) hand tight it and maybe ¼ turn after with a wrench and lower your car. If you are not sure how much oil to fill than on the bucket or the oil pan it usually has quart mark. Check that subtract 1 quart and that’s what you should put in. Instructions are also in you factory manual check that on how to check engine oil level.
After this you will be a pro.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:03 PM
2nd Gear

Take the above mentioned advice. This is a good start to get to know your car. My dealer charges me $98 per oil change which includes the oil and filter and they do a thorough check of the entire car to include brakes, fluids, etc. In reality, for parts, it only costs around $40 bones. This is using Mobile 1 5W30. To have the dealer do a synthetic change would be $135. Don't use synthetic unless you are going to run it 5-6k without a change. I your between 3-4k which I recommend, stay with regular oil. BTW--your gas mileage is due to a bad filter and or a lead foot. Nothing goes wrong with an oil filter unless there is a hole in it....lol..DIY...oil changes are the most basic thing you can do to your car.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:37 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: prbayha

Take the above mentioned advice. This is a good start to get to know your car. My dealer charges me $98 per oil change which includes the oil and filter and they do a thorough check of the entire car to include brakes, fluids, etc. In reality, for parts, it only costs around $40 bones. This is using Mobile 1 5W30. To have the dealer do a synthetic change would be $135. Don't use synthetic unless you are going to run it 5-6k without a change. I your between 3-4k which I recommend, stay with regular oil. BTW--your gas mileage is due to a bad filter and or a lead foot. Nothing goes wrong with an oil filter unless there is a hole in it....lol..DIY...oil changes are the most basic thing you can do to your car.
first of all rap781, thanks alot for that amazing description. I have one question though, were do I get a new oil filter and a jack?

and prbayha, this one really good indy BMW repair place (who specialize in Audis too) said they would do a synthetic oil change for $90. Does this include the filter change? Also umm wats a lead foot and how do i fix it lol?

and also how long can i drive with this bad oil?

Old 02-20-2007, 04:25 PM
1st Gear

You can find a jack with jack stand at any auto-parts place like Shucks aka Kragen, Auto Zone, Pepboys, Wal-Mart, Home Depot even at Sears. If you are close to Harbor Freight store than I would recommend you to start there first, I don't know if they have a store in Cleveland, OH.
You can find the oil filter at Shucks aka Kragen, Auto Zone, Pepboys, You can also order onefrom online www.audicarparts.com or just search online for Audi oil filter.
Once a mechanic told me that ifa factory oil filters retains about 5 lbs of torque and aftermarket oil filters looses that, upto this day I don't know how that works, so classified that advice as BS. If you look closely Audi OEM oil filters are either made by Denso or Bosch it all depends who there distributors are. Honestly any oil filter will do the job as long as you are changing your oil at less than 4k miles. I know BMW recommends there oil change at 13k miles.
If you have a turbo car I would recommend you to change your oil asap. Turbo use the motor oil to cool and that’s one of the reason I recommended Mobil 1 Full syn. You don't want to be stingy when you are driving Turbo cars, its better to spend some money on good oil to cool the suckers or they will die on you and later could cost thousands to be fixed. Turboalso burn oil so be sure to check your oil level at least a month or as frequently as possible. Remember you oil level should always be at 'B' level not 'A'.
Check on e-bay if not www.audcarparts.com for the Audi repair manual, I would suggest repair manual on a CD. This is like an investment you will like it. It shows you step by step instructions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil changes and filter and all that