Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filler Cap Replacemnt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:44 AM
1st Gear
Default Oil Filler Cap Replacemnt?

98 A6

I have changed the the two seals on the oil filler cap, the larger rubber ring around the cap, and the smaller ring that goes around the inside cap. I am still getting some oil leaking out of the cap. It was recommended to me to just replace the oil filler cap to have the oil stop leaking out. Is this a good move? I don't just want to buy more parts I don't need.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:52 PM
4th Gear

If your getting oil outta the cap while driving, I'd suspect your PCV system is not working correctly and your pressurizing your crankcase. Carefully pull those 2 plastic hoses off the back of your valve covers and take a look for clogging.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

One of the plastic hoses is shot, I will replace the plastic hose and see if the oil stops leaking out of the cap.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:59 PM
4th Gear

Look at the rest of the system while your there...

Old 08-10-2009, 07:45 PM
3rd Gear

I broke the rubber gasket on my oil cap and had to buy a new one. I called the dealer looking for the gasket/o-ring and they said they don't sell them and that I should get the newer oil cap anyways. They said the newer oil caps vent better to prevent pressure buildup. Who knows if that's true, but I bought the new one anyways.

So it might be worth the 27.00 dollars in the end.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:12 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Jeffla
I broke the rubber gasket on my oil cap and had to buy a new one. I called the dealer looking for the gasket/o-ring and they said they don't sell them and that I should get the newer oil cap anyways. They said the newer oil caps vent better to prevent pressure buildup. Who knows if that's true, but I bought the new one anyways.

So it might be worth the 27.00 dollars in the end.
What were the symptoms of your broken rubber gasket, if I may ask? The same small leakage that the first post indicated?

Last edited by nm3210; 08-10-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:53 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by nm3210
What were the symptoms of your broken rubber gasket, if I may ask? The same small leakage that the first post indicated?
Yep. I took off the oil cap one day and half the gasket was stuck to the engine and the other half fell on the ground.

I hadn't noticed until the new cap stopped leaking that it had been leaking, not noticeable until I took off the black plastic engine cover. It was a very minor leak, I just assumed I was sloppy when pouring oil in during oil changes. I also changed out all the pvc breather tubes a few weeks later. They were dirty but not plugged.

So I guess I solved a problem I didn't even realize I had. Also the idle smoothed out a little with the new oil cap. Then even more with the breather hose/vacuum lines. The breather hose/vacuum lines were too cracked up to be plugged.

Last edited by Jeffla; 08-10-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:57 AM
3rd Gear

I also had a light oil dribble that would accumulate in the recessed area of the valve cover where the filler cap plugs on.
Only replaced the top gasket and that took care of the problem, even though was a bit less wider than the OE one.
However, Jim may have a strong point related to the buildup pressure in the crankcase due to clogged breather hoses. I cleaned up mine pretty good at the time.
I thought I just chimed in with my own occurence/fix.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:48 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jeffla
Yep. I took off the oil cap one day and half the gasket was stuck to the engine and the other half fell on the ground.

I hadn't noticed until the new cap stopped leaking that it had been leaking, not noticeable until I took off the black plastic engine cover. It was a very minor leak, I just assumed I was sloppy when pouring oil in during oil changes. I also changed out all the pvc breather tubes a few weeks later. They were dirty but not plugged.

So I guess I solved a problem I didn't even realize I had. Also the idle smoothed out a little with the new oil cap. Then even more with the breather hose/vacuum lines. The breather hose/vacuum lines were too cracked up to be plugged.
How much did you spend on the new oil cap, and the breather hoses? Also how many of the breather hoses did you change?

Thanks

Old 08-11-2009, 11:27 AM
3rd Gear

I believe the oil cap was 27.00 and there was 1 long breather hose for ?160.00? maybe. It's been a couple years so the exact details are long gone now. All the vacuum hose was maybe 20.00 at Auto zone.

Quick Reply: Oil Filler Cap Replacemnt?