Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump wrecks my engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 05:43 AM
1st Gear
Question Oil pump wrecks my engine

My car was in for m.o.t and during emssions test there is a 'bang'. turns out the oil pump has broken and I need a new engine. The car is 06 A6 Avant 72,000 miles. I would appreciate any commets or advice.

James leo

Old 05-25-2010, 11:34 AM

OUCH!! Sorry. What makes you feel your engine is fried?

High quality syn oil can last longer then you think even after the oil stops flowing plus you should have gotten obvious indicator Icons on the dash before a catastrophic failure I would think? Tell us more..what has happened before the MOT test..oil pumps don't just fail without indications has been my limited experience anyway?

Old 05-25-2010, 11:38 AM
3rd Gear

I'd call Audi. It is unacceptable for an oil pump to fail in an 06.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:02 PM
1st Gear
Default oil pump wrecks my engine

Thanks for your comments. as far as what happened before the problem and why I think its fried. Well there were no warnings on dash. car was driving perfectly. About a week before had min oil level on dash and topped up. I have had that before and topped up then as well.
The car was being tested as part of private hire taxi test when problem occured. They take no further action when problem happened1 Car hasnow been examined by a trustworthy garage. Initial thought was timing belt broke but its fine.Mechanic has told me that oil pump broken and when engine turned by hand there is a grinding noise indicating further damage. Someone else suggests that oil pump problem on this engine is known problem.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:43 PM
Question not a pleasant sound

That would be quite a headsup, what engine are you talking about?

I'm no mechanic, maybe alittle shade tree machanic but we've certainly got some real machanics here.

If the oil pump failed, the system management computer gets this obvious failure notice especially with a major drop in oil pressure..why no notice, alarms, nothing? How long did the engine run without oil pressure?

Where is the oil pump located...pull it and see if your still getting the grinding noise? But first drain the oil and check it closely, if something distroyed itself you'll see metal shavings, something weird going on here.

Last edited by mystrodo; 05-25-2010 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelin erors
Old 05-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Site Moderator

Im also skeptictal of the oil pump blowing up. Those things just don't go belly up, especially on an 06. Oil pumps common on an 06 A6? Let me just say of the 5 years i worked at audi i have NEVER replaced an oil pump on a 3.2L or 4.2L engine. The shop doesn't know whats wrong with it, i would have another "qualified" audi mechanic look at this car, something's not right here......

Old 05-26-2010, 06:33 AM
1st Gear

Thank you for your comments.

The engine is a 2.0 TDI, 103kw,140bhp, Engine code is BRE.

You guys obviously know what your talking. My car is with mechanics who have worked on my cars for years and whom I trust but the audi mechanic who commented above is obviously an expert on audi's

Old 05-26-2010, 06:45 AM
1st Gear

As I said above the car was being tested at the time problem occured. What I forgot to say was that it was the emmisions test as part of m.o.t. Prior to going for test it was running fine. No warnings of any kind.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by james leo
As I said above the car was being tested at the time problem occured. What I forgot to say was that it was the emmisions test as part of m.o.t. Prior to going for test it was running fine. No warnings of any kind.
Just a note James..the 2.0TDI Audi has unfortunately not been imported to North America except I think the A3 may offer it finally this year. One place to visit which is exclusively TDI Diesel and a huge resource is:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/

They really know Diesels there..I guess you could say they are fanatical about them. I hope you keep us posted on your results.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:30 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah i can't speak for the diesels, we just recently got TDI engines in audis over here. However i still doubt you have a bad oil pump.

Quick Reply: Oil pump wrecks my engine