Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil smell from fan upon startup

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Default oil smell from fan upon startup

2.8 12v: upon start up I get an oil smell (not burnt) in the cabin when the air (or fan) is on. The smell seems to disappear after the initial event but that may be a matter of dilution. There is no apparent oil loss from crankcase and no evidence of drip. How can I track this down?

Old 08-11-2006, 05:17 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: oil smell from fan upon startup

Hey i get the same smell from my audi as well when the car has yet to be started, but goes away after being started. Its really weird. I have an audi 2.8 2001, so we both have the similar engine problem. I have no idea whats wrong

Old 10-17-2006, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

:bump: i get the same exact thing with my 2.8 30v a6 (1998)

Old 10-17-2006, 01:37 PM
AQ6
1st Gear

If it's a sweet smell it could be anti-freeze, that could be why there is no apparent loss of oil.
However my bet is that the valve cover gasket, cam shaft seals or I have even seen it discussed that the tensioner seals could leak. It doesn't take much to smoke and smell and if you change your oil often you might not notice the loss. All can be fixed when you do the timing belt replacement.
It is difficult to see exactly where it is coming from, I had the same problem and they put a florescent additive in the oil to pin point the leak. Let us know how you make out.

Good Luck

Old 10-17-2006, 03:03 PM

I too just got a 1998 a6 and noticed this smell. I'm having it checked out at the dealer today, I'll let you know what they find.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:13 PM
1st Gear

the wierd thing is... i only noticed it after i had an oil change done. before that i smelled nothing at all.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:36 PM

Hi, i was just surfing the forum as i have the very same problem , but with a small difference ,in that i get a smell of burnt oil/crank emissions from my heater fan in the cabin once i am stationary, when on the move i have no problems. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks SMUDGE UK

Old 12-29-2006, 03:38 AM
3rd Gear

You probably have a camshaft adjuster leaking oil on the exhaust manifold.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:15 AM

Thanks Dankhound, sounds like a reasnobly big job, the car, which is an 18T A6 1998 Tiptronic model has done a genuine 155000 with fully stamped service history and has had a new cambelt and waterpump just fitted in the last twelve months, with me giving it a oil plugs and all filters changed ( i have only had the car six weeks or so ) and it drives and sounds smooth.
Do you think it would be worthwile fixing or just steam clean the engine and put it down to just high millage, or could it turn into a serious problem if left alone.Other than that the car is a dream and a cheap quality car at £2.500. I value your comments.
Thanks again Smudge.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:38 AM
3rd Gear

Technically your supposed to remove the cam belt but it can be done without it. Inspect the rear part of the engine and see if oil is leaking off the back of the head and onto the catalytic converter. It sounds like its leaking bad enough that steam cleaning will only work for a short time if at all.

Quick Reply: oil smell from fan upon startup