Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK! ITS HOT NOW!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 07:45 PM
1st Gear
Default OK! ITS HOT NOW!

98 today in South Florida. I was wondering if I can get a full checklist of problems that could explain why my a/c is blowing hot air. Mech charges about 75 bux an hour just to take a look so...yea... To narrow it down a little bit I know my a/c pump works but thats about it. There may be a freon leak but if so I would still be able to get cold air for a short time since I refilled it once. I did take my front bumper off and moved my condencer to the side once to preform some work though. So if any help can be provided please feel free. I know the list of possible causes could be long but still anything to save a college kid some cash, please!

Old 03-16-2008, 07:52 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: OK! ITS HOT NOW!

What year is your A6?

Old 03-16-2008, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

1999 quattro

Old 03-16-2008, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

O and also I had to disconnect the battery once. Could that have reset something? I know it put my radio into safe mode.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:36 PM
1st Gear

If seen the climate control diagnostic codes. But I dont know what I should be looking for.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:50 PM
1st Gear

Any response preez?
[align=right] [/align]

Old 03-17-2008, 08:05 AM
1st Gear

May have a leak in one of your AC lines causing the refrigerant to leak out. Or you might just need a recharge of your system. I had this issue with my old car. Ended up needing a recharge.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:34 AM
1st Gear

Im gonna take off the front bumper today and see if the condencer plug is on. Whatever it is i know its my fault. I took the bumper off one day, did some work... put it back on and my a/c stopped working. Maybe I can get tips or tell tale signs? Is the condencer supposed to be hot to the touch? Mines is. Are there any pipes that should be cold to the touch?

Old 03-17-2008, 12:36 PM
1st Gear

I wouldn't take off the front bumper dude, the condenser is suppose to be hot. Thats where the "freon" is condensed back into hot gas. Depending on your EPA laws in Flordia, I would go to Autozone and buy a can of R-134 w/ the attachment hose and give the car a quick shot. The attachment hose has a gauge on it so you do not over-charge the system and cause "slugging" at the compresor.

Try that first, if the car starts to blast cold air and it only lasts for a few days, month or even a year there is a leak in the system. A refrigerant system NEVER needs "freon". The only time it needs "freon" is if there is a leak.

If you do decide to take off the bumper you want to look for any signs of an oil residue on the condenser: where you think you might have kinked a pipe or loosened something. When "freon" is released from a closed system it leaves behind a noticable oily residue...if the leak is substantial. I don't think I ever heard of a condenser plug but, you know what you have.

Good Luck man!

P.S. Consider yourself lucky, it's 44 here in Philly.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:50 PM
1st Gear

Im going to try and stuff it with refridgerant again, but I remember trying checking for leaks last time and got nothing. I also have a guage hooked up to the low port reading me at full. I have fluctuated the temp between high and low and the "Hi" blows really hot air and "low" blows warm air. My fan is blowing, I can hear the compressor going, Ive checked everywhere for debris but still no cool air. Ive got a break from the heat today with some stong gusts and cloudy weather. But this week we will be seeing some high temps, so I need A/c.