Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima battery?

Old 01-30-2009, 08:16 PM
1st Gear
Question Optima battery?

I did a search and ended up with no info. Im wondering if you can run an optima battery in our cars (red or yellow top) and also how to fit it in the factory spot? Any info would be appricated

Old 01-30-2009, 08:49 PM
3rd Gear

When I went to AutoZone to get a new battery for our van I was told that the Optima battery was not as good as they claim. The guy said that he has had a lot of them returned because they were faulty. The only good thing about them is that they work well in very rough conditions because the plates have extra bracing otherwise a standard battery has more power and lasts longer.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

I disagree with NH......Optima batteries are great. They have gel packs rather than liquid in them so you can mount them in any direction and they last a lot longer and hold a charge better than normal batteries. I run one in my wrangler which has many accessories that need juice (9000 lb winch, fog lights, custom soundbar,etc) and this battery has done great. It might be overkill for an Audi though.....unless you are running excessive aftermarket sound or stereo equipment. If not, I would stick with the regular battery, as that is all you will really need and it isnt worth the extra money to you. Just my 2 cents

Old 01-30-2009, 10:31 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the input. I agree, it is a bit overkill but Im in the position to get one for a good price so I would rather get an optima for a few bucks more than a standard battery. Anyone have any input on mounting it?

Old 01-31-2009, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

Is anyone running an optima in their A6?

Old 01-31-2009, 11:23 PM
Site Moderator

Ive had trouble mounting optima batteries in audi's, not because its hard but because the batteries are generally taller and our cables don't reach the posts, or people bring me the wrong battery making it impossible for me to install them without modifying the cables. They are supposed to be "universal" applications, which i don't care for.
The gel cell or dry cell, does work better for several applications like the desert or extreme cold places like the upper states, it can also be mounted upsidown if you really wanted to, but in the long run i would just say stick with a regular battery.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:50 PM
1st Gear

Yea I too think the height would be an issue. But as batteries go they are as good as it gets I have run them in my last two super duty diesel's and they are as powerfull as you could ever ask for. Two weeks ago when it hit -15 they rolled my truck over like it was a summer day you just cant kill them cold or heat doesnt affect them like it does a normal battery.

They also stand up well in any application where they sit unused alot I got my father two for his motorhome and it will sit all winter and in the spring it fires right up with no problem I am sold on these batteries in any type of rough duty situation.