Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OUCH! ~ CVT Transmission Needs New TCM (Transmission Control Module) ~ Is This a Common Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Default OUCH! ~ CVT Transmission Needs New TCM (Transmission Control Module) ~ Is This a Common Problem?

Help!

I own a 2003 3.0 Audi A6 with the CVT. Of course, the warranty just expired and my dealership now wants ~$2200 in repairs for a Transmission Control Module replacement. OUCH!

Recently, the PRND lights on the dash started blinking at random points in time. I later learned this indicates the transmission has shifted into "Safe" mode. 2-3 times in the past week I have been unable to get the transmission to engage in Reverse. This seems only to occur after the vehicle has been driven (transmission warmed up)... shut off for a short while, and then re-started. Again, the PRND lights flash.

The problem appears to be very random, yet all the while when driving (even with the PRND dash lights flashing) the transmission seems to be functioning normally. No jerking / clunking etc.

The dealership pulled the fault codes from the computer and in no time flat claimed it needs a brand new Transmission Control Module (TCM). Apparently, you can’t use a re-built unit as the replacement part must be programmed directly at Audi Germany…

Any suggestions on saving $$$’s… and/or working Audi customer service over on helping with the repairs? Apparently this is a “fairly” common problem. If so, why hasn’t Audi taken care of it?

Otherwise, I've been in love with the A6 since we bought it....

Old 12-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Default RE: OUCH! ~ CVT Transmission Needs New TCM (Transmission Control Module) ~ Is This a Common Problem?

Hi! I read your message with much interest - I've just been researching Audi faults following some dramas we've had with our 2005 A6 3.0 TDI Quattro. Whilst still under warranty (thankfully) the transmission system crashed, leaving us with a car that wouldn't go beyond 3rd gear. After waiting several weeks, a new transmission arrived from Germany to the Gold Coast (Australia) and was installed. I received the car back and knew something still wasn't right. The lower gear changes had lost their subtlety and I was even getting occasional (but never consistent) clunks, particularly when going from reverse into 1st gear.

After taking the vehicle back, the local dealership readily admitted there was still a problem. Unfortunately, as you've already found, nothing can be diagnosed (let alone repaired)without Audi Germany receiving all the info and making a decision. Audi Germany decided there was a problem related to a valve which controls the tiptronic 'brain' (sorry, I'm not more specific!). After waiting 8 weeks for them to finally get the partto Australia, we have just received our car back, today. Thankfully, the dealership had provided us with a brand new A4 in the interim.

Whatcontinues to bedisturbing, however, is that just prior to handover, the service technicians ran a software update for an airbag recall (apparently they have to clear all recalls before being allowed to claim rebates for any warranty work) and the entire car went into shutdown, indicating there was an error within the transmission system! Again, Audi Germany had to be consulted to work out what had gone wrong. Their solution was to keep running the update until it took. In the end, it took three attempts, soI'm not confident there isn't an inherent (and ongoing) fault with the entire transmission system. Now, we have less than 12 months warranty left to find out at Audi's expense...

Lessons learnt from this experience - Audi Germany seem to be almost obsessive about their control over service technicians - to the point that they obstruct the entire service process. If they were quick to respond and provide assistance, it wouldn't be so unpalatable. Unfortunately, this just wasn't the case for us.

Good luck. Like you, we loved our car (it's our second Audi), until this experience. Now, I am beginning to believe the transmission system in the A6 is a common fault (we were advised it is not!) and one which Audi is risking its reputation on. As far as my husband is concerned, he islookingto theother German marques for our next car -not because of the transmission failure (these things do happen), but because of Audi's failure to deal with the problem promptly. I am still considering writing to Audi AG (Australia's parent company) to express our extreme dissatisfaction.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:01 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: OUCH! ~ CVT Transmission Needs New TCM (Transmission Control Module) ~ Is This a Common Problem?

I know I'll get some flack for this (don't kill the messenger) but my Indie mechanic who has been working exclusively on Audis since the late 70s said I was very smart to get my A6 with the six speed manual. He says the tips and the CVTs are very expensive to repair/replace and he has seen a lot of problems with these. He said he would never get an Audi with either (automatic) transmission.The manuals are easier to work on and have far less problems. That said, there seems to be plenty of of tips out on the road with 100k+ miles.

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but I felt I should share this for those thinking about buying.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:11 AM

Hmm, you are only confirming my suspicions. Such a shame, because I really love the brand and,until recently, it has served our young family well. My husband was even in the market for the R8, but this latest experience has put him right off. We'll probably offload the A6 before its warranty expires, but now I have no idea what we'll replace it with... Incidentally, I'm not even sure they market the A6 with a manual transmission in Australia, but I could be wrong.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:24 AM
SoCal Crew Member

The R8 is an awesome feat in vehicle engineering. Don't let me scare you. A lot of people here pick up a used A6 with close to 100k miles hoping to run the car another hundred. These are the people that may need to be concerned about the tip. A new car, besides having a warranty, is going to last for years. Most people this day and age don't keep cars more than 5 years anyway. Please ask around for more opinions since neither mine nor my mechanics are the final authority. Audi makes a great car and I am hooked on them.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:17 AM
3rd Gear

Manuel transmissions always have lower failure rates because they are simpler by design, no matter the manufacturer. Far less parts and far fewer items to wear out or break. There are also no electronics inside a manuel transmissions.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:12 PM
1st Gear

Jass-
I would search around for a TCM out of a salvage. Those pop up on ebay once in a while, tcm's for tips usually run about 3-500 bucks, which sucks, but its a lot better than 2k. Also check for local salvages.
I feel your pain, though. The cvt is rare-ish so parts are $$$.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

But I think step one is to take the car to a really good independent audi shop and get a second opinion other than the stealerships.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:31 PM

Hi.. Sounds familiar...I have a 2003 2.4 A4 with CVT, done about 45000km. The dealer has just told me need a new TCM . The part will cost $2800 Aust. plus fitting! Although thered indicator lights flash sometimes transmission seemed to be working OK ..until it took a few tries to get it to go into reverse.Dealer suggested dealer might assist with cost of part.. waiting for an answer at the momentand hoping I dont get stuck without reverse gear somewhere.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by csobel
Jass-
I would search around for a TCM out of a salvage. Those pop up on ebay once in a while, tcm's for tips usually run about 3-500 bucks, which sucks, but its a lot better than 2k. Also check for local salvages.
I feel your pain, though. The cvt is rare-ish so parts are $$$.

Hi i'm in a similar situation,looks like my TCM is gone on vacation. Is it really possible to buy a used TCM i see a bunch of them on ebay. I know the part numbers have to match but is there anything else i would need to look out for?Thanks.

Quick Reply: OUCH! ~ CVT Transmission Needs New TCM (Transmission Control Module) ~ Is This a Common Problem?