Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PA Vehicle Inspections

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:59 PM
1st Gear
Default PA Vehicle Inspections

I have just relocated to PA from MD (The F U State) and was checking to see if there are any PA members here who might have knowledge on how strict PA is with their vehicle inspections.

Since my car is modified, are their any places in the York/Lancaster/Lebanon (AP Tuning) areas that are preferred for folks like us?

Thanks for your help!

OOOO

Old 03-13-2008, 08:05 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: PA Vehicle Inspections

im from pa ... i dont think any shop will let you walk in and just pass your car(you could be a cop to them) you probably should develop some sort of relationship with the shop and let them know your situation... whats exactly wrong with your car that you think it wont pass inspection ....

Old 03-14-2008, 07:52 AM
1st Gear

Nothingwrong with the car, it runs great, but I am running test pipes (no cats), and I am sure they will put the car on a rack to inspect the underneath. No cats will surely fail inspection.

OOOO

Old 03-14-2008, 10:32 AM
2nd Gear

yea well itlll prob fail emissions .... i kno with all my check engine stuff (pre vagcom) i took it to one of those gas station / inspection shops that are less then quality haha i dont recommend taking your car there for repairs but id find the shady-est looking one(probly justcheck you got a seatbelt and then slap a sticker on lol)and then bring your car there and if they say something i guess you can always try try again

good luck ...let me know if a funny story comes from any of this lol

there is a shady place around me but im hours away from lebanon

Old 03-18-2008, 09:21 PM
1st Gear

In Pennsylvania,your vehicle'semissions "system" undergoes a visual inspection - all components in place - and what is essentially a functional test - does everything work properly. If your car is OBD II compliant, they will scan the barcode on the door jamb or enter the VIN in the machine; that sets the emissions machine to the proper specs for your car, the machine reads the computer, if you have more than 3 fault conditions (I think) it will fail.

So, without all the mandated equipment, as well as no registered faults, your car will fail. By the way, shops with what Penndot considers too many "exempt emissions" stickers get closer scrutiny from the State police.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 PM
2nd Gear

go to a shady gas station shop and ull be fine trust me i know from experience

Old 03-19-2008, 08:06 AM
1st Gear

I think I am going to put my Cats on regardless, but the great thing is I can clear any codes with my APR chip prior to emissions.

Thank you allfor yourvalued responses!!

OOOO

Old 03-19-2008, 08:20 AM
1st Gear

Hmmm my audi just passed inspections without any checks....the only thing they did for mine was hook it up and make sure the emissions passed. They did not check brakes, lights, or the exhaust. So find a gas station inspection station and you should be just fine.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:48 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: urbnmat9

Hmmm my audi just passed inspections without any checks....the only thing they did for mine was hook it up and make sure the emissions passed. They did not check brakes, lights, or the exhaust. So find a gas station inspection station and you should be just fine.
Awesome input! Thanks!

OOOO

Old 03-19-2008, 01:40 PM
3rd Gear

Inspections are more than emissions -- there are safety inspections also.

I took my van with 60K on it in for its normal yearly inspecdtion and they found the tie rod ends were worn out.My trusted mechanic showed me the slop and since he was busy sugested that I do the swap because they were quite bad. When Ibegan taking the first tie rod end off, it fell apart. I would have never guessed that it was that bad. I am convinced that he saved us from having a big problem... By the way, I complained to Chrysler and they paid for the parts and alignment even though it was not done at the dealer.

Quick Reply: PA Vehicle Inspections