Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parents be warned lock out problem !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Default Parents be warned lock out problem !!!

We have a 2006 Avant and a almost 3 year old daughter in the rear passenger side car seat. She recently threw her foot over the side of the car seat and hit the power door lock button after my wife had stepped out and closed her door. At that point the car was running in near 100 degree rainy weather. With some influence she remembered she could drop the window with her toe. So that was one near miss. ONE week later same deal, wife drops purse in pass. seat closes door daughter locks car. This time not running, still strapped in on a 98 degree day. Her Advanced Key was in the car on the seat and the car still locked and would not respond to touching the handle. Now what I want to know is why would the car not know the key was inside and refuse to lock. And beyond that why it didn't open back up. Due to her leaving one of the remote keys on top of the car and having hers in the car she lost one on the road. (long story). So only two keys left and not where they are suppose to be. I was driving near 100 mph thru town while my daughter was freaking out. The local police refused to jimmy the lock due to the side airbags and I was only a few minutes away with the key. Very frustrated here but is this suppose to happen or is it a design flaw with the hard lock button?

Old 08-12-2009, 06:41 PM
2nd Gear

How does your daughter hit the power locks from the back seat? I thought there are only power locks in the front seats? How does that work?

Old 08-12-2009, 08:07 PM
1st Gear

theres a button on all the doors that cal lock the car and only unlock from the front seat doors

Old 08-12-2009, 10:03 PM
1st Gear

I know this may not be optimal in your situation and its definitely not the answer your looking for but, is generally all around safer to place a child restraint in the center of the back seat. I dont have an avant but I cant imagine her touching the doors from there.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:30 AM

Well, this is good to know considering my first child should be arriving late January. Why is your wife constantly getting out and leaving the key in the car though? I'd think after the first time, I'd either take the key w/ me or leave the driver's door cracked open to get my child out......just in case.

OR

She rolls her window down if she insists on leaving the key in. Then, reprogram the car w/ VAG-COM to be able to roll the windows up w/ the remote (I did this). Then she can have the window roll up as she's carrying the baby and walking away.

Either way leaves her a way to open the doors and saves you a 100mph speeding ticket.....or worse.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:38 AM
2nd Gear

Disable the power door locks, or at least the ones in the rear seats. Just pull the door card, pop the connector off the door lock button and put it back together.

BTW, they DO now make cars smart enough to know where the key is. However, the cost of a 100 MPH speeding ticket and a smashed window are still cheaper.

Bob

Old 08-13-2009, 12:56 PM
2nd Gear

Obviously it is your wife who nees to remember her keys.

I say that because I have done the exact same thing when my son was little. MY FAULT.

Have a valet key made and cable tie it or put it in a hide a key under the car.

But I gaurantee a couple hours of B/S from you will solve the problem. My wife jammed her seat all the way back in my A8. I had to remove it to fix it. I gave her so much **** she won't even move it now. LOL, I'm such a bastard.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:41 PM
2nd Gear

Tell your wife to stop leaving the FOB in the car.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:58 PM

Thanks for all the responses but keep in mind my wife is pregnant and therefore not all there in body or mind. I attempted to get the windows porgrammed in but no luck with dealership. I have APR in my hometown and may see if they can do it. I would figure the car will not lock with the key in the ignition so why not if the advanced key is within range. Yes in hind site they should just have busted the window but we were also balancing what would be less stressful to our daughter. The police were already freaking her out so them smashing the window would not have gone over great.

Either way it's now a story to tell for years to come.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:24 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by AUAvant
We have a 2006 Avant and a almost 3 year old daughter in the rear passenger side car seat. She recently threw her foot over the side of the car seat and hit the power door lock button after my wife had stepped out and closed her door. At that point the car was running in near 100 degree rainy weather. With some influence she remembered she could drop the window with her toe. So that was one near miss. ONE week later same deal, wife drops purse in pass. seat closes door daughter locks car. This time not running, still strapped in on a 98 degree day. Her Advanced Key was in the car on the seat and the car still locked and would not respond to touching the handle. Now what I want to know is why would the car not know the key was inside and refuse to lock. And beyond that why it didn't open back up. Due to her leaving one of the remote keys on top of the car and having hers in the car she lost one on the road. (long story). So only two keys left and not where they are suppose to be. I was driving near 100 mph thru town while my daughter was freaking out. The local police refused to jimmy the lock due to the side airbags and I was only a few minutes away with the key. Very frustrated here but is this suppose to happen or is it a design flaw with the hard lock button?
As far as I understand this new type of system, the car unlocks automatically when the key enters the immediate vicinity (5 feet?) and the person pulls the handle. Conversely, the car locks by either pressing the Lock button on the fob, or by having the fob in the pocket or purse, etc AND touching the locking button on the OUTSIDE door handle.
Does this sound about right?
Audi of America doesn't mention anything about locking/unlocking the car with the fob left inside, so I would assume there's a reason for that. The video shows only locking/unlocking with the fob either in the hand, or in the pocket.
So when it happens that the car is locked with the fob left inside, is just like with any other car: spare key, locksmith, police, or bust a window...
I don't think there's a design flaw with that hard locking button on the outside handle.

Good luck though with convincing your wife that maybe is better to have a habit of actually handling the key fob when she stops.
In any event, if I would have my baby in the back seat constantly while I make all sorts of short stops, I would want to have the key in my hand as I exit the car, even if I leave the purse in there.
Certainly the pregnancy may have a say in this with all the mood swings, etc, but remembering not to leave the fob inside the car while locking it (it happened twice, right?) shouldn't be such a complicated matter to grasp, or actually remember.

Quick Reply: Parents be warned lock out problem !!!