Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perspective Audi Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 08:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Perspective Audi Owner

Hi all, Ive had a few cars, but nothing as nice as an audi, I looking to get into mid size car, and my friend has an A4 but its almost a little small for me, so I figured an a6 would be good.

Ive done a bit of reading the last 2 days and found an A6 that is in my price range and all it needs is a radio(stupid cup holder). I was wondering if you guys could tell me some things to look for and check before I buy this thing.

The car is an 01 A6 4.2 sedan with 114k on it. There is some very minor front end damage the PO let a family member borrow the car and hit a street sign with it in one of our wonderful Michigan winters. I should be doing a test drive tomorrow.

Any tips or pointers are greatly appreciated.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:54 PM
1st Gear
Smile Prospective Audi Owner

Hi Spencer C. As with any used car, it would be great to have the car checked by a reputable mechanic/shop. You could save yourself a lot of money and a few headaches by not buying a car that has been someone else's problem. It would aslo be a good idea to run a, "Carfax" for the vehicle you are considering purchasing...just to make sure there are no undisclosed stories.
I would aslo ask the seller for any and all serivce and or maintenance records. Its usually a good sign with a higher mileage car to buy one that has had routine maintenance and regular service.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:04 PM
1st Gear

Are there any big problem areas, that I should for sure check out? Ill see about running a carfax tonight. Do audi dealerships do once overs for a reasonable price? Where Im at its rare to see one of these things going down the road, or anything like it, im from flint michigan, seems like its bowtie or go home, haha.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:27 AM
2nd Gear

Maintenance history is very important. You need to find out if the timing belt was done. In addition, these are heavy cars with a history of needing to replace suspension parts.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:06 AM
2nd Gear

SpencerC,

I'm down in Goodrich, so I know what you mean about bowtie or go home!

Take the car up to 75 and watch for any front end shake. ASk the Owner if the control arms have been replaced.

Look at the front axle boots. They tear easily.

Ask about the timing belt. It should have been changed not too long ago.

Look for oil leaks. Cam seal leaks are a bitch to fix.

What do you mean about the radio and the cup holder? Someone put a pop in the in-dash cup holder and give the radio a good soaking? You can find these at junkya..., er, automotive recycling centers. You need a special tool to pop it out but they are easy to come by. Make sure the codes come with the radio!

Good luck and if you want a second, non-professional mechanics opinion, let me know.

Bob

ASk

Old 10-25-2008, 08:56 PM
1st Gear

Biggest thing to worry about on the 00-01 4.2 is the tranny. Kind of hit or miss if it will grenade itself. Pay attention to if it shifts bad.