Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piggie Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Piggie Pipes

I plan on buying some piggie pipes here in the next month because i heard they lower the temp near your turbo and can prolong the life of it. I was wondering if i could take http://vastperformance.com/shop/prod...products_id=65 and put magnaflow tips for some good sound since i dont have the 1200 for a full catback. Please excuse my ignorance in the subject for i don't really know what im talking about but thats why im posting. Not sure what part the piggie pipes are of the system even if they are a part of the exhaust system. Also can you see any performance increase from installing them?

Old 04-16-2008, 11:07 PM
Default RE: Piggie Pipes

Piggie pipes aren't specifically your exhaust. kinda sorta!!!
yes you are right, they will lower your temps and also increase your hp by about 20-30 crank. The cat back will fit to the piggies and can be done quite cheaply on a budget. Just don't expect full stainless steel or anything fancy.
Go to your local muffler shop to have the exhaust bent for you but don't tell them about the piggies...Some would frown.
i got a quote for $700 when i was looking at exhaust options....i just paid the extra $600 ish and got the APR cat back instead. My local muffler shop flat refused to bend 2.5" pipe saying it was too big and would rattle....Yeah right!!!!

Old 04-16-2008, 11:08 PM
2nd Gear

I have VAST piggies (and their tip chip). I love the piggies, I defnitely felt the difference in low/mid range, much torquier. Car is quicker especially if you're chipped. They are loacted right behind the turbos and before the catback. Theyare sometimes referred to as turbo-back, or DPs/downpipes in aftermarket. I had mine done a couple of years back, and I have not had any issues with them, with cels, or passing inspections. VAST has great customer service. I had MY cores (stock downpipes) removed and shipped to them on a Monday, they got them on Wednesday AM, did them same day and I got them back the friday. On the car Saturday AM. I had a stock exhaust/catback then and I hardly noticed any sound increase. Even now with my APR catback the car sonds almost liek stock, very stealth. Removing the resonator and chsnging the muflers would make it louder, especially the muffler which are conservative.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:20 PM
1st Gear

So i would have to send something off to get these installed?

Old 04-17-2008, 12:07 AM

No and Yes you send them off to get the pre-cats (mesh in the pipe to reduce emissions) gutted making better flow. Then your local shop installs or you if your up to it. As for Cat-back I am going to do this soon so I'll let you know how everything sounds in a few days.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:24 AM
2nd Gear

YOu have 3 options:
1- you go there and no issues, they do it all: removal, gut the precats, move O2 bungs, install back on car
2- you or your shop remove your cores/stock DPs form your car and ship them to VAST. They'll gut them, move the 02 Bungs, and ship back to you, yo or your shop install. YOU pay the listed price.
3- You just place the order, pay the listed price plus refundable core fee (used to be $300), they'll make and send you a set of piggies from another customer's cores (if they had one for an A6, they used to only have one in the rotation), your or your shop remove your stock Dps/cores, install the ones VATS sent you. YOU ship your stock parts to VAST and they'll refund your core fee.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:38 AM

Ok So out of curiosity is the reason you don't get a CEL because the sensor that was at the front moves down to the 2nd sensor position and the 2nd sensor moves behind the cat?

Old 04-17-2008, 01:45 AM
2nd Gear

VAST moves the front O2 bung pass the precat.
If this is not done, and the preact is gutted, you WILL get a CEL

Old 04-17-2008, 01:59 AM

can the front o2 sensors reach that far? it seems like a streach!

Old 04-17-2008, 06:31 AM
1st Gear

you don't move the front 02. The second 02 is moved back and there is plenty of slack in the harness. you just need to cut one of the factory zip ties that hold it to the trans. There is only 1 place you can locate the 02 and not get a CEL and thank fully for us VAST knows where it is.

Quick Reply: Piggie Pipes