Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help, Disconnecting MAF from Harness and MAF from Airbox

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Please Help, Disconnecting MAF from Harness and MAF from Airbox

I really need some help with some stupid stuff guys. Both of these things are probably very easy, but I really dont want to break/force anything the wrong way. Any info would be great.

1. How do these clips work that attach the MAF to the Airbox. The end on the AirBox has a circular shape, while the end that attaches to the MAF has a much flatter shape. Do I push up on the circular (airbox) end and the other side disengages?:

2. How do you disconnect the Mass Air Sensor from the harness? There is a push tab on the back of the plug. Do I just push on that while pulling or do I have to push/pull/etc on something else at the same time? It looks like you just push on the tap and pull but I didn't want to force it.

Picture of the tab:

Thanks!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:18 PM
2nd Gear

1. Pop the clip that has the loop you can put your finger/screw driver in. These clips are VERY hard to put back on/off just for your information. Watch out for breaking the clips (not to easy to break them ) but there is nothing you can really do other than pop them with practice hah. Just pop the clips though on both sides and your MAF is free. I can show you pictures of my MAF box out of the car if need be.

FYI: Watch out for the seal that is going to fall out of your MAF. That seal is like 20-30 bucs and very useful hah just a little

2. You push the button in on the bottom of the sensor and push the sensor in further, once you do that you will be able to pull the sensor free. I am guessing you have a new MAF

Last edited by wammy18; 03-18-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by wammy18
1. Pop the clip that has the loop you can put your finger/screw driver in. These clips are VERY hard to put back on/off just for your information. Watch out for breaking the clips (not to easy to break them ) but there is nothing you can really do other than pop them with practice hah. Just pop the clips though on both sides and your MAF is free. I can show you pictures of my MAF box out of the car if need be.

FYI: Watch out for the seal that is going to fall out of your MAF. That seal is like 20-30 bucs and very useful hah just a little

2. You push the button in on the bottom of the sensor and push the sensor in further, once you do that you will be able to pull the sensor free. I am guessing you have a new MAF

Thanks so much for the info wammy. I figured out the airbox to maf clips after reading your post but I am still having a lot of trouble with the harness clip. I am pushing down on the tab in the picture, then trying to push down on the whole plug while doing that, then trying to pull it off and it is still connected. I know its not stuck becase the plug will wiggle back and forth. What am I doing wrong?

Old 03-19-2009, 12:18 PM
2nd Gear

Possible your finger is on the button wrong? I had the same issue the other night with my updated MAF. I can attempt to send pictures later tonight on where to push the botton or I might be able to post a video for you . What are you trying to do as well? If you are still unable to do it maybe I can help you find another solution around it BUUTTT hopefully I will be able to walk you through pulling it off with another follow up post

Old 03-19-2009, 12:34 PM
1st Gear

Possible your finger is on the button wrong? I had the same issue the other night with my updated MAF. I can attempt to send pictures later tonight on where to push the botton or I might be able to post a video for you . What are you trying to do as well? If you are still unable to do it maybe I can help you find another solution around it BUUTTT hopefully I will be able to walk you through pulling it off with another follow up post
Thanks so much for offering the help wammy. You are one of the most helpful forum members I've ever come across. I'm actually just trying to do some work around the airfilter area. I want to change the air filter, but instead of just pulling the top of the box up and slamming the filter in I'd really like to take the top off to insure that I get a good seal all the way around. I also notice that their is a noticeable gap inbetween the airbox and the maf tube. In the process of doing thice I wanted to make sure that the air box top is seated property on that seal that you talked about. Have you noticed a little gab between the airbox and the maf tube or is it pretty much flush? and any more info on how to push on that maf sensor would be great. Thank you again for taking the time to help!

Old 03-19-2009, 01:12 PM
2nd Gear

Here is what Id do if you are still having trouble with the MAF. Take the accordion hose off from the MAF and the Y-pipe by removing the 2 clips. Pull the hose from the Y-pipe and it will easily come off, when you pull it off the MAF it is a little harder to take off but comes with a firm wiggle. At this poing you will have the MAF(with the sensor in it) connected to the air box sortive with your clips undone. You are going to want to remove the air intake plastic hosing( 2 or 3 pieces ). At this point you will need to unclip all of the clips(4) on the airbox located on the middle of the box on the 4 corners ( note I used a flathead or my fingers to pop the clips. They are pretty hard to pop). Once you pop these you will be able to remove the top of the air box carefully watching the sensors ontop of the box and the 1 long wire. You can now put the top of the box out of your way to the top left on the engine bay. You are now where you want to be. You have a open air box and the ability to place it back on the mounts After you have done your work on the airbox make sure the airbox is firmly on box rubber mounts. Once you have done this make sure all 4 metal clips on the air box are sticking away from the inside of the box and that the air filter is sitting properly. Once you have done this you are going to place the top of the box back onto the bottom half. At this point you want to clip the clip closest to the engine bay and furthest away from the bumper. ( your top left if you are standing at the side of your car looking at it ) This is going to be the toughest clip to get because of the lack of space but will make the job easier for the other clips. Once you pop that clip on pop the clip on bumper side headlight side. You will then pop the other two clips. Once you have this done you are going to need to make sure you have your O-ring seal for the MAF and clip it. This is going to be pretty hard if my memory is correct. These things can be a bitch honestly like the airbox clips. After you do this you will have your Airbox fully put in with the MAF connected (with sensor still on). You will then need to put the accordion hose back on. You should put the piece that goes into the Y-pipe on first you will once again notice it goes on very easily. On the MAF side it is going to be a little harder. Make sure the inside seal is sitting properly while putting half of the hole onto the MAF. You will then wiggle and pull it on. Once you get it started you might need to get a pick or a screw driver to pull the inner seal over the 2-3 level of humps you need to get over. You can now reinstal your plastic pieces and should be complete with the job. ETA first time 30-45 mins. You will get faster as time goes.

Also no problem at all for the help, everybody has to learn from some where Thank you though and hopefully we get this straight.

Last edited by wammy18; 03-19-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:14 PM
2nd Gear

I am uploading a pic of the accordion hose just so you don't get mixed up!

I had to edit one of my pics I already had... but this circles the accordion hose you will be removing. You can also see the plastic pieces that you need to remove at the bottom left that run to the front of the car. Best would be remove the 2 screws and take it all off for a first time.

Last edited by wammy18; 03-19-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

That does sound like a good alternative, and thank you for the picture. The only issue I see with the technique is those 3 rubber lines that go across the top of the airbox. without disconnecting these it would be very dificult to swing the top of the airbox up and out of the way as they would be in the way. It seems that it must be disconnected from the Ypipe and then slid out towards the right headlight, front bumper (after removing those plastic intake pieces.). This whole problem would be solved if I could just get that MAF sensor disconnected because I would have the ability to slide the airbox top any way i needed. If you could provide a picture of your technique to pushing that button at some point it would be greatly apprecitated, or later tonight I can try to post a pic of what I'm doing.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:45 PM
2nd Gear

Don't mess with the 3 hoses on top of the MAF. You should be able to remove it when you disconnect the MAF and the hose from the Y-pipe. I did mine with the MAF on the airbox even . I should be able to help you out some more tonight

Old 03-20-2009, 09:02 AM
1st Gear

Don't mess with the 3 hoses on top of the MAF. You should be able to remove it when you disconnect the MAF and the hose from the Y-pipe. I did mine with the MAF on the airbox even . I should be able to help you out some more tonight

Oh wow. If you were able to do that with the maf and the airbox top still connected that might be the way to go then. I just didn't realize there was a enough length in that Maf sensor plug cord to move around that much, and I think I may to try leave the MAF and airbox connected since its such a pain the reassemble. I see you're in VA, I actually live in the City of Richmond (no garages) so I'm probably going to head to my father's house this weekend to try all of this in the garage. I'll let you know if I can get this to work, and thanks again for all the help.

Quick Reply: Please Help, Disconnecting MAF from Harness and MAF from Airbox