Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help! new 01A6 2.7 quattro owner!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 12:47 AM
1st Gear
Default please help! new 01A6 2.7 quattro owner!

Hey everyone! I'm a brand new Audi owner and new to the forums as well. I recently got an 01 2.7 a6 quattro about a week ago. The car had 139k when I bought it. I purchased the car in Florida then drove to Texas then Texas to Colorado. The second time I stopped for gas the car wouldn't start and I had yo get jumped the rest of the way when I'd stop. When I made it to Texas I took to advanced and the tested my battery AMD said my alternator was bad. I decide I'll get it replaced when I get back home to Colorado and continue to get jumps the whole way back. When showing my buddy the car I just tried to start it to see if it would and it did. I have since started it every time without jumping it no problem. Well I wanted to get it tested again anyway so I took it to a shop my buddy recommended to get the battery and alternator tested. When I pulled in and poped the hood it was smoking from oil. We put it on the lift and the guy checked it out and said it was oil leaking from my turbos. I bought the car for 4300 and after new tires and everything else before my trip back home I have over 5k in the car. It took all my savings and I cannot afford another 5k+ for new turbos. I'm mechanically incompetent pretty much so not sure about very many technical aspects..taking to to a other shop tomorrow that offers free diagnosis yo see what all they say so I can post more info. Idk really what my question is..just looking for advice and guidance. I used every bit of my savings plus some to get this car and I can't handle the stress if it ***** out on me. That k you greatly in advance!

Old 03-20-2015, 12:51 AM
1st Gear
Default p.s.

I'm located in Colorado springs if anyone is or can recommend a good trust worthy mechanic!

Old 03-24-2015, 02:26 PM
3rd Gear

The turbos are bathed in oil and it is not unusual for higher mileage cars to leak a little oil. My turbos have been leaking for about 80k miles, yet there is no need to top off oil between 8k changes. After a hard run I can smell a little "burned oil" smell, but this has been happening as long as I owned the car. First, I would regularly check the oil for the next few months for obvious reasons. That means every fill up. Second, avoid the impulse to floor it. The faster the turbos spool, the more stress and possible failure. Likewise, after a high speed highway or hard mountain run, make sure they cool down with some normal driving before parking. Last, if your turbos decide to blow there is not much you can do to avoid it. Use full synthetic oil, do the cool down, and keep your fingers crossed. My A6 has been "turbo leaking" for almost 4 years. My indie shop advised they could just continue to leak, gently fail, or catastrophically fail (and blow all the oil out, possibly causing the engine seize). Welcome to the joys of turbo car ownership.