Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possessed interior lights, what the heck is the deal???

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 03:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Possessed interior lights, what the heck is the deal???

just recently my interior lights have started freaking out. for example, i'll be driving down the road and all of a sudden they'll flicker on for a fraction of a second, then shut back off. it's been doing it rather frequently now and i can't figure out what the deal is. all the doors are completely shut, i'm positive of that. it doesn't trip the ding sound either like whena door is open and the car's on, and it also doesn't make the little icon pop up on the dash like when a door's open, all is does is just randomly turns on the interior lights for half a second. any idea what the heck is going on? although it's slightly comical to watch, i'm very slowly getting rather irritated that it isn't going away. thanks for all the help.
-mike

Old 12-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Possessed interior lights, what the heck is the deal???

A door latch is malfunctioning, the interior lamps will only light on one side when the door is open.
Lets say the driver's door is open the foot well lamps on the driver's side should only illuminate, so that should help you diagnose which door is latch is messing up.
Another thing you can do is use the VAG COM and watch the data blocks while closing the latch with a screwdriver to see if it switches smoothly on the scanner. If it gets really bad it may even trip the alarm.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:41 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

A door latch is malfunctioning, the interior lamps will only light on one side when the door is open.
Lets say the driver's door is open the foot well lamps on the driver's side should only illuminate, so that should help you diagnose which door is latch is messing up.
Another thing you can do is use the VAG COM and watch the data blocks while closing the latch with a screwdriver to see if it switches smoothly on the scanner. If it gets really bad it may even trip the alarm.
cool, i'll go try that then. do you know exactly where i need to go in order to check that? i've got my vag com tool sitting in the car, i'm just all that familiar with the programitself yet.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Site Moderator

Not off hand, its somewhere in the 46 module (central convience) try going through the blocks opening and closing the door until you see something change. There is a seperate data block for each door.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:48 PM
1st Gear

ok, thanks,i'll go give that a try. i'll post my findings in a few minutes then.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

ok, it's saying "no response from controller" when i try to get into the central convenience module, am i doing something wrong?

Old 12-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Site Moderator

I think you may need a K-line adapter to communicate with the 46 module on your car if you can't talk to it. I think you can buy a K-line adapter from ross tech but it would be about the same price to take it to the dealer.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:04 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

I think you may need a K-line adapter to communicate with the 46 module on your car if you can't talk to it. I think you can buy a K-line adapter from ross tech but it would be about the same price to take it to the dealer.

oh,well that sucks then. any other thing you can think of that it might be, or is it definitely one of the little sensors for the doors?

Old 12-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Site Moderator

The only other thing is water is running down onto the control module (which is under the driver's side carpet) messing up the control module. If there is water down there then your pleanum drain (under the battery) is plugged up running water into the vehicle, or a sun roof drain is leaking.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:21 PM
1st Gear

well if that's the case, wouldn't i feel the carpet getting wet? i wouldn't think that'd be the case because i'm fairly certain that the car doesn't leak anywhere, the only thing i can think is would getting in the car with wet shoes do cause that to get wet enough?

Quick Reply: Possessed interior lights, what the heck is the deal???