Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible debadging tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Default possible debadging tomorrow

I am thinking of debadging my A6 tomorrow. I recently took off the dealer sticker and it went pretty good and I figured that the badges can't be that much different. My plan is as follows.
1)Use a hairdryerinstead of a heat gun because that is all I have
2) Use fishing line to take the badge off
3) Use WD-40 to get the uckey stuff off
4) Turtle wax that ***

Any different things I should use? Or does my plan look good? Summer break is here and I need to look busy so it is time to mod my car!

Old 06-15-2007, 12:24 AM
Default RE: possible debadging tomorrow

Sounds good, not sure how well the WD40 will work but it is miracle juice. I was told by our body guy to use dental floss to remove the badges and it worked great.

Good luck!

Old 06-15-2007, 05:17 AM
1st Gear

I also used a hairdryer after reading an incident where a guy heated up the paint too much with a heat gun and took some paint off with the badges! Instead of WD-40, you can try Goo Gone or similar adhesive remover available at any paint store to get off the rest of the adhesive. FIshing line works great, sometimes the dental floss is not strong enough.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:32 AM
1st Gear

Use another wax rather then Turtle Wax, its garbage! A good rule of thumb....you wouldn't polish a diamond with sandpaper......would you? Use 3M, McGuires, Zymol or Mothers

Old 06-15-2007, 08:40 AM

thanks for the tips i was planning on making a run to the store this morning and I will try to post pics when I get it done

Old 06-15-2007, 10:25 AM

i looked and it is actually rain-x wax. I used it on the whole car after I took off the dealer sticker so I am thinking that I am going to just use that for this and then next week I will get 3M. How often should you wax? Is it just personal preference? Does every other week seem often? Thanks again...going to the store and should be starting shortly.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:57 AM
1st Gear

Wax every other week? I tend to think the buildup would be extreme. Honestly (and I'm sure many on this forum would disagree as some here tend to be *ahem* a little **** about washing/waxing) but I wouldn't wax over 3 or 4 times a year max - probably closer to twice a year if it is done properly.

As fas as the WD-40 - you might find Goo Gone works better. I've used it on tons of adhesives and it never lets me down. Plus it is less greasy and has a nice citrus smell to boot!

Old 06-15-2007, 12:03 PM

I was thinking every other week would be too much but this is my first cool car so I want to make sure it looks nice! I hit up Meijer this morning and got some goo gone and should be starting a little I parked the car in the sun so it wouldn't take as long to heat it up

Old 06-15-2007, 03:12 PM

all is not quiet on the mid-western front I was debadging my car today and it was going pretty well. I got the badges off and there was a little outline around where the badge was. I went inside to get a thinner cloth so that I could push more on the body and my genious friend decided while I was inside that he would help. So he took sandpaper....yes sandpaper and sanded the extra glue off. So after yelling at him a lot he said he would go halfsies with me on the paint job but i got him to 75%. Should I try a home remedy (buying a kit or paint from paintscratch.com) or should I just go to the pros? Will get pictures when this is fixed.[:@][:@][:@][:@]

Old 06-15-2007, 03:25 PM
1st Gear

you should shoot him. period.

Quick Reply: possible debadging tomorrow