Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Default Power Steering

Looking for some assistance with a annoying problem. I have 2003 A6, 55K. Power steering fluid seems to get air bubbles in it periodically, typically when the temperature drops below 45 F. When this happens it makes a lot of noise like the system is gagging. If I run/drive the car with this noise and then turn it off and come back to it 30 minutes later, no noise. My local mechanic said that he saw a tech notice that suggested adding fluid above the fill line. Thought that might have been the answer, but with the arrival of cold weather, the air bubbles are back. There are no apparent leaks in the system and there has been no loss of fluid. Before I take the plunge for a new pump I thought I would survey the crowd for suggestions, ideas, help. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 AM
1st Gear

I have the same problem with my steering pump 03' A6 3.0. It's been a year It is an annoying sound but i haven't had any problems with my steering so I've left mine alone.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:43 PM
2nd Gear

I dealt with his last year.

You need to replace all the clamps on the hoses. Especially the one on the pump. I moved mine when doing the timing belt and if it gets loose it sucks air in instead of leaking fluid out.

Change the clamps with Stainless non-perforated hose clamps. I buy mine at West Marine. These clamps do not have holes in them so it will not mar up the hose. For the smaller lines you might be able to find some fuel line collar clamps at the auto parts store.

Also Audi has a new improved fluid called G4000 get that it helps prevent cavitation. It is compatible with the old stuff so no need to get every last drop out.

Just remove the lower line and turn the wheel lock to lock until it's out. Refill the reservoir. start the engine for a mere 2 seconds that's it-2 seconds! Then refill the res to the top and turn the wheel lock to lock ten times while keeping up on the level.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:36 AM

Thanks for the helpful response.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:21 AM

My car is an 02 A6 3.0L (AVK) and I am now dealing with the same problem. I am encouraged by your post that all I have to do is replace the clamps. Could you be more specific as to which clamps? Just the clamps on the Intake line/hose? Did you replace the Banjo fitting (if applicable) and seals (on the Expansion hose)?

Old 12-04-2009, 12:50 PM

I am gonna try the clamp replacement. FYI, here is a decent clamp kit with the crimper (From Grainger.com). I could not find anything cheaper.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ite...BaseItem=3L523

Old 12-10-2009, 03:48 PM
1st Gear

I am having the Same problem with my 02 A4 3.0L. I am taking it in to get a diagnostic done next week and to check to see if they can fix the power steering. I have bubbles in my reservoir and a whirring noise that started since it's been cold, but otherwise the power steering seems fine. I changed the fluid last month when I bought the car... I'm sure it's just a clamp or hose sucking air. We'll see what the dealer wants to replace the clamps and seal everything up for me.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:26 PM

After I replaced the lower clamps I still had the noise. I replaced the clamp directly on the pump and the noise went away. The noise went down considerably even after tightening the old one, which encouraged me, so I replaced. The power steering is solid. Way better than the $600 the dealer wanted to charge me....

Old 12-14-2009, 02:41 PM
1st Gear

Okay, change of plans. I'm holding off on the dealer diagnosis. Not sure they will tell me anything I don't already know. The noise from the power steering got much louder the last time I drove and since the reservoir was still full and the noise continued I figured the Pump is probably shot so I ordered one online . I have the service manual software and I have the car up in the air. I'm going to start working on it this week, any helpful hints would be appreciated. I might go to the store tonight to buy hose clamps.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:27 PM
1st Gear

I've been experiencing the same problems, I will have to check into this as well. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Power Steering